Laptops like the HP Dev One?

So here I am still rocking a T440p when I noticed the HP Dev One. Unfortunately for me, they only ship in the US.

So what is a good recommendation that Is like the HP Dev One that I can get in Asia? My main concern is that I can replace the SSD and RAM.

Hi there. Fellow Asian here. We are pretty much SOL when it comes to Linux supported laptops. Not sure if System76 can ship to us. Support, especially hardware related concerns can be a nightmare to them. Never fear though, Arch wiki is here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/ASUS

They also have guides and preferable brand/models for MSI and other laptops.

While System76 does ship to some countries in Asia (my country is included) I hate that they only have the 15" Pangolin for their AMD system. What I prefer is something between the 13" and 14" form factor. I don’t really use the keypad and don’t see the need for it on my laptop.

The 2 laptops that have caught my eyes this year are the Dev One and the Framework laptop. Sadly both are out of reach at the moment for me. :sob:

I got a Tuxedo laptop. They ship internationally and have vast amounts of keyboard layouts and power supply standards.

Running my Infinitybook for about half a year now. Superb mobile Linux workstation. I can replace both DIMMs and both of the M.2 drives, 5 screws. They also have reasonable upgrade prices for memory and storage

3 Likes

Oh wow, really love the looks of the whole design, especially the Pulse 15 Gen2. Looks like I have to save up a bit more before I can splurge a bit on that.

Thank you for the recommendation.

You might take a look into HP EliteBook 845 G7/G8. They look really close to Dev One.

1 Like

Thank you, definitely will be looking into the 845.

Almost looks like HP took the 845 and plonk Pop OS into it to be the Dev One

1 Like

Seems like it :joy:

1 Like

Finally got my grubby hands on a brand new Tuxedo Pulse 15 Gen2!!

First impression: very nice hardware, but the sounds could be better. This is definitely something that you don’t want to put on your lap if you want decent sound from the speakers. The down-firing speakers are kinda anemic without something solid to bounce back.

Though I must say that the default Tuxedo Linux that was installed was kinda…meh. Reinstalled Pop OS! on it and have been playing with it for a while and slowly migrating my work flows to it.

If there’s further interest, I’ll probably update my journey, else this is the end.

4 Likes

I think anyone would be interested in hardware that was alternative OS friendly.

I just bought a Lenovo X13 Gen 3 AMD and I love it. Trying to find an SSD that will go in the WWAN port (PCIe Gen 3) so I can move windows 11 to that and Install GNU/Linux or BSD the PCIe Gen 4 SSD.

Yeah, It’s basically a Budgie+Ubuntu with some flavor. You can get the wallpapers (Some are really good if you want something generic), the (awesome) Control Center and everything else via their repos. The WebFAI stick was used once and everything installed flawlessly. Good thing about Tuxedo is both in-house software products without bullshit and being a Clevo laptop, PopOS cross-compatiility is very good and I always found help when I had issues (my HiDpi display and Intel power-saving has some problems and I had to boot with some kernel parameters).

Other than that my Infinitybook just works. 32GB Memory and 1x Samsung 980 NVMe (awesome power states). Gets all jobs done. But I was specifically looking for an ultra-light 14" that still packs a punch. For 15" all-purpose,I probably would get the Pulse 15 too.

Keep us updated on your experiences. I found a good companion with my Tuxedo and I hope you your experiences are similar.

2 Likes

Almost a month with this laptop, I’m loving the heck out of it.

However, I did noticed something weird and not sure whether the issue is with Pop_OS! or the refresh rate. Setting it at the default of 165Hz will cause VLC full screen to constantly flickers and shift, as though it’s trying to re-adjust the refresh rate. The max that I can set is at 120Hz to play at full screen with no issue. Kinda bummed about this.

1 Like