Laptop display stuck at 40Hz, should be 165Hz

I’m trying to switch to Linux on my laptop which has an RTX 3070 and Intel UHD graphics for 10th gen which I think they call GT2 graphics(?).

Ideally I want to use KDE as it’s what I’m used to so I’ve installed Kubuntu, at least for now just to test things out and make sure everything is working. However, I’ve got the NVidia proprietary drivers installed and my laptop seems to be stuck at a 40hz refresh rate. The displays configuration lets me choose 165hz but it doesn’t seem to change anything and tried changing it in xrandr too but it hasn’t done anything. I’ve also tried disabling v-sync in compositor settings and that hasn’t made a difference either.

I’ve tried booting live USBs for POP_OS! and Manjaro linux too, and I still cannot change to 165 on those.

My plan is to use Manjaro KDE in the end as I’ve enjoyed using it in the past, I just want to make sure I can get everything working and still get my work done on it!

Any help getting this to work would be massively appreciated!

1 Like

what was the method used to install the display driver?

2 Likes

Did you use the Pop_OS Nvidia ISO?
Maybe you can force some settings via:
sudo nvidia-settings
Sudo nvidia-xconfig

I have problems with a very stuttering GUI.

2 Likes

@Daniel_Fern What version of Kubuntu is installed on your laptop? The reason I asked is I am trying to figure out if Kubuntu is using Wayland or Xorg.

1 Like

I just did sudo apt update && euro apt install nvidia-driver-470. I’ve got the nvidia x server settings utility and it’s properly detecting my nvidia GPU.

As for the Intel graphics, it’s just using the i915 driver that’s included with the kernel.

Thanks!

Yes, I used the nvidia iso.

I’ve tried the sudo nvidia-settings utility and there’s nothing I can actually change in there other than whether the laptop should use the nvidia GPU or the Intel.

As for nvidia-xconfig, it’s giving me a warning that there isn’t an X configuration file, and generates an xorg.conf file.

At the moment I’ve got 21.04 installed, but I have tried 20.04 LTS and 21.10 beta too.

I’m trying to solve this display issue before I start getting things setup to my liking so I’m more than happy to install something else instead!

Tbanks :slight_smile:

Ok, are you sure Kubuntu 21.04 is using Xorg? So by default, Ubuntu 21.04 is supposed to use Wayland instead of Xorg? I would assume all Ubuntu 21.04 based derivatives (which I think Kubuntu 21.04 would be one) would do the same. However, since a laptop isn’t as straightforward as a desktop, it can be harder to install Linux. The reason for this is most laptops use a hybrid graphic system which desktops don’t. So I think the issue has either of two causes. The first problem is Wayland’s support is still very experimental for Nividia. The second problem is the fact your laptop is using a hybrid graphical system.

My best advice to you will be to ask someone on the laptop’s forum if anyone has successfully installed Linux and if someone replies yes, then ask them how they did it.

1 Like

I would say try installing via the “sudo apt install akmod-nvidia” method. If you arent doing any CUDA development you should be fine with it. I believe it is “akmod-nvidia” but i could be mistaken as ive been using rhel based OS’s for a time now

1 Like

I’m really not sure if it’s xorg or wayland really. There’s log files for xorg and for wayland so it seems both are there.

Good idea re checking laptop forums, thank you! It’s a Tongfang chassis I had customised by CyberPower Systems UK but I’ve found some Reddit posts and forum posts of people with similar issues, with a very similar chassis to mine.

Thanks very much for your help! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I had to add a ppa to install it but unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to have made a difference.

I’ve tried disabling switchable graphics in the bios too so only the iGPU is used but that hasn’t made any difference either.

have you check that the drivers available on the repos you are using support your card? if not you may have to install the driver manually from nvidia them self’s. also have you tried 60hz? or just straight to 165? dumb question but gotta ask.

1 Like

also on a botched driver install its sometime recommended to restore to a point before the install before re-installing a different version. Unless you are aware of all changes being made and can confirm they have been undone after uninstall

1 Like

Can you update the intel integrated gpu drivers? by updating the kernel, maybe enabling secureboot can also help.
If the internal display is connected to the integrated gpu then usually in windows at least, that is also where you set your refresh rate/resolution.

It almost seems as if the integrated gpu is running in a power saving mode, the stronger power saving mode does go to 40hz to save power.

1 Like

I have tried installing the drivers direct from NVidia but the version that’s being installed should be new enough to support the 3070.

As for trying 60 Hz, in the display settings, I’ve only got options for 40 and 165 hz. It’s the same choices I’ve got in windows too. But I tried using xrandr to set 60 and it didn’t act any differently.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hmm, interesting. Most things I’ve read suggest that secure boot is a bad thing with Linux, I’ll give it a shot.

I think the HDMI port on the laptop is wired directly to the NVidia card so I’ll try an external display and see what happens.

Re the power saving, I wonder if I can force it not to be as aggressive somehow?

Thank you :slight_smile:

If your going to use Linux, go with AMD…that being said. Manjaro Linux comes with a kde flavor and has the proprietary drivers packaged in the distro and will auto install and configure everything automatically.