Laptop cpu upgrade, cutting out after 25 minutes

Upgraded the cpu from b960 to i3 3110m. laptop cuts out after 25 minutes. temps are 60 to 70 degrees celcius. have tried 4 more cpu's two i3 and two i5 and exactly the same with all of them. with b960 temps go up to 85 degrees and not crashing. bios updated. laptop is taken apart and have additional fan blowing air directly on cpu, but same thing. laptop model is pakard bell tv44hc also tried using a 4.74 amp charger, no help. any help?

Sounds like a "not meant to work" case. Maybe get a tower cooler, macgyver it onto the CPU (somehow connecting the fan plug aswell) and give it a try.

In the PDF for that laptop the two CPU's that i tried are listed as an option from the factory.. that's the weirdest part... Below is from the pdf for TV44HC

Intel® Core™ i5-2450M/i5-3210M processor (3 MB L3 cache, 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz, DDR3 1333/1600 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache
Intel® Core™ i3-2350M/i3-2370M/i3-3110M processor (3 MB L3 cache, 2.30/2.40/2.30 GHz, DDR3 1333/1600 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache
Intel® Pentium® processor B960/B970 (2 MB L3 cache, 2.20/2.30 GHz, DDR3 1333 MHz, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture, Intel® Smart Cache

sounds like your sysb just isnt up to the task.. although your 'model' has the options at the factory, there is every chance that those are not actually using the same sysb as yours, possible a different revision, you could try re-flashing the bios. does the system just power down or is it BSOD?

What kind of thermal paste did you use?

He said temps are 60-70. The temps are from probes on die. He shouldn't have an issue.

Second point, I haven't noticed significant differences in different thermal pastes.

I've used Arctic Silver, the cooler master stuff that comes with hyper 212 evo, the stock intel paste, the stuff that comes on the H100i v2, and the stock AMD paste. While I admit, there's a fluctuation of up to 3 degrees (using different pastes on the same cpu and cooler in identical environmental situations, Climate Controlled to 70F), it's not enough to justify it being an issue here and honestly, unless you're looking for subzero temperatures, there's no reason to go out of your way to upgrade.

On topic:

@multiyogibear When you say the system cuts out, you're referring to a shutdown similar to hard-stopping the computer, correct?

If so, is it possible that when you reassembled the laptop (assuming you had to do "major surgery" to get at the CPU) you damaged the power delivery system?

Could you link the PDF? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Looking at the B960 vs the 3110m, they're both 35w processors, so, from a power delivery aspect, your system should be fine, but the B960 is a sandy bridge processor and the i3-3110m is an ivy bridge processor. A cursory lookup indicates that sandy bridge and ivy bridge are compatible, but I wonder if this would cause an issue.

I remember back in Windows XP, if you changed the system at all, aside from storage. (change CPU, ram, motherboard) the OS would need to be reinstalled. I'm not sure if Microsoft still does this sort of thing, but if it's a windows issue, definitely give a reinstall a try.

You likely have an Intel HM70 chipset.
While its compleatly compatible with many i3/i5/i7 cpus, it has code in the chipset itself that shuts off the laptop exactly every 30 mins if you don’t have an “approved” CPU for it.
There is no driver or BIOS fix for this.

You could wire up and reprogram the chipset, or likely even swap out the chipset with a HM77. But that costs more than the laptop is worth.

This is a nasty trick put in to force you to buy a new laptop over a cpu upgrade.