Laptop corrupted overseas and repair

So on my holiday to London from Australia was going great until....

Editing some of the footage from my S7 together in premiere caused my laptop (lenovo X1) to crash. Nothing that I could blame the device for as its not made for editing 720p video at 240FPS. Upon reboot it got stuck in a reboot loop that would not let me get into the operating system as it attempted automatic repairs on my Windows 8.1 install. (i know it should be running linux but my school does not have a linux cert for the network)

Because im a geek I carry a few .iso files on my phone and a USB in my bag. I had the materials that were needed to get the recovery media back. All i needed was a system to run Rufus to make the disk bootable. I tryed the business centre at the hotel but the systems were that locked down that i could not format the USB.

While I was exploring the city I saw a mac/pc repair shop that had piles of mac pro towers in the window. After explaining my situation i was lent a Dell XPS 13 laptop to make my bootable media. (while looking all I could think of was Wendell's mac pro video)

back in the hotel room the system was that screwed that the recovery media had no chance of getting it back. 1 fresh install later i was able to use my phone as a networked connection to get online as the wifi card needs drivers before it can work and the hotel did not have any RJ45 connections in the room im back downloading my software from my home server back in Aus and getting things back to were they were!

This is why you back up your media! lucky had one at home with all my files (not a system image) but it at least it will be there when im back home.

7 Likes

Happened to me aswell, when I was in Aus (from Fin) 6 months ago my gpu died on the 3rd day, and had to live solely on my phone for a month, oh the agony.

1 Like

Not entirely relevant, but when I was in Vienna for holiday I had my Canon SX710HS for taking photos. It was towards the end of a fairly long holiday (about 8 weeks total) and I didn't back up any of my photos on my laptop.

Visited the University of Vienna then headed to another part of the city. While standing on a tram, I patted down my pockets - low and behold, my camera was gone.

After sprinting back to the university I found it (luckily) exactly where I sat down to take a break in the courtyard haha

Could have easily lost everything because I got lazy during the trip hahah

1 Like

Used to happen a lot before the time cloud became a norm. used to be so frustrating and the I had to keep a copy in a separate drive, then USB. I could see my life flashing through my eyes whenever that happened.

1 Like

My life flashed thinking I had lost all my school work! At least I'm not the only one

1 Like

The reason I use linux is that I can't have something that big happen to any of my systems. I just can't. If I'm on a trip like you and shit hits the fan, I could desparately look for resources, wait, or have linux and fix it in five minutes.

Glad you got it fixed though. I suggest you get a microUSB to USB connector for your phone and learn how to use dd. You could have just used your tiny linux machine for that stuff ;3

3 Likes