Laptop Charging Issue

Recently i switched over to Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon and have been facing slow charging speed. Before this on Windows 10, charging took approximately 2 hrs while on Linux it takes approximately 5-6 hrs.

Model - Lenovo ideapad 320-15IKB
Product: Intel Core i5-7200U

*-battery
Device Name: L16L2PB3
Designed Capacity: 35000 mWh
Full Charged Capacity: 20450 mWh

I can’t be around a wall socket for 5 hrs or so to charge so that it discharges in an approx 1 and half hrs. If there is a way in which it will take two hrs to check and 1 and half to discharge please tell me know. i will be grateful.

Thank you.

It’s probably because thinkpads use a special sauce power driver.

You should install tlp.

Please read their docs here --> https://linrunner.de/tlp/installation/ubuntu.html

ThinkPads only

Depending on your model and kernel version external kernel module(s) are required to provide battery charge thresholds and recalibration.

The output of tlp-stat -b (version 1.2.2 or higher recommended) will guide you which package to install:

• acpi-call-dkms (universe) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds and recalibration for newer >ThinkPads (X220/T420 and later)
  • tp-smapi-dkms (PPA or universe) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds, recalibration and specific >tlp-stat -b output for older ThinkPads

Install them either with your favorite package manager or the command

sudo apt install acpi-call-dkms tp-smapi-dkms

omitting the one not required by your hardware.

1 Like