Laptop as a dedicated system for Twitch/Youtube streaming

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the correct thread but here it goes.

I have a 4 year old laptop with a 2nd gen Intel and 4 gigs of ram. I also have a desktop with i5 7500, 16 gigs of ram and 1060 6gb graphics card.

I was wondering if my laptop can be converted into a dedicated streaming system to YouTube or twitch. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

“can”, well yes, of course it “can”.
But does it make sense? Eeehhh, not so sure about that.

2nd gen Intel, well, what exactly? Also 4gigs might be pushing it depending on the resolution you want to stream at.

In any case you would need a capture device like the elgato cam link. Also judging by the specs so far I would be surprised if that laptop works for that. But we need more specs to be sure.

this is more of an experiment. just to try out things during my free time. The processor is 2350m (2.3ghz i think).

Could do the nginx solution without the capture card though.

Mh… idk :confused: you can try, but I imagine even 720p could get demanding.

Yeah, I have no clue about that so you are probably correct. But wouldn’t that increase overhead?

2350m is … less than ideal. 4GB is also not optimal. I would try to get something with a bit more oomph if you really want to go dedicated and leave the laptop for something else.

Depends how you set it up I guess. If you do the PGP route with new compositing in OBS etc yeah definitely. If you’re just re-encoding a high-bitrate stream by just piping it into ffmpeg it should be fine.

1 Like

Well, Its worth a try. It will be a good learning process . I will update this thread if i make it work.

Just for seeing how it’s being done everything is fine to use. Using it in “production” is a different story though.