Laptop advice - Ryzen 2XXX

Think of it like this: even if you don’t understand what IPC is and you think AMD parts are equivalent per core, the premium you pay on intel isn’t a premium. It’s a subscription to the “i’m not free QA for a company that doesn’t care about the software im validating” club.

1 Like

cheers, its been a while since i went shopping specifically for linux hardware. it used to be a total fucking crapshoot not so long ago.

1 Like

yeah basically just comes down to

• ryzen bad

• optimus bad

• broadcom wifi bad (but it’s bad in every os)

• microsoft 1st party hardware bad.

for laptops. other than that you’re good to go

well that kinda sucks. because intel cpu = bad security wise.

maybe i’ll just abandon laptops entirely and just ssh into my desktop from the ipad.

1 Like

it’s a laptop, no one’s gonna take the time to pop the back off and solder something to the board to steal your fortnite skins man

not specifically worried about my personal machine security. its more of a “fuck intel” gesture.

I find it difficult (morally) to give them any more money

this is a goofy mindset if we’re being honest

a duopoly is functionally the exact same as a monopoly, and your other choices on other architectures are corporations equally as vast and amoral.

1 Like

There’s a bit more to it than that. But security, better bang for buck, not rewarding intel’s illegal behaviour, integrated GPUs worth more than a pinch of shit are all factors

edit:

apparently recent thinkpads work out of box with ubuntu and ryzen

to clarify it’s not EVERY ryzen laptop, just most of them

just like you CAN get optimus working but it’s a hassle

hence the purpose of this thread :smiley:

i think we all know there’s a lot of ryzen stuff that doesn’t work out there. because they tend towards the cheaper end of the scale and cheap laptops are generally shitty whichever platform they happen to use…

oh but yeah to my original point: you’re absolutely not going to make any difference by “voting with your wallet” lmao

that’s a talking point thrown around by people who want to continue getting away with something.

AMD and intel are functionally one organism that exist solely to keep x86 from other manufacturers, and keep themselves from getting hit for antitrust

They rely on each others’ IP

They cross license nearly everything important

and if one goes under the antitrust people will immediately step in.

same company in everything but name, one can’t exist without the other

they haven’t been competing in any real terms since cyrix and via died

my 400 dollar i3 dell has been flawless.

why? intel chipset and uefi from AMI actually work out of the box.

there’s a threshold where a laptop becomes not worth buying but it’s well under $700, closer to 250 or 300

So it’s like every other flavor of Linux

basically lol

although I don’t think there’s any software workarounds for the ryzen laptops yet

just have to hope the people who made the uefi for it gave 2 shits

How about a chromebook? :wink:

Cheap AF and if you’ll be online might as well have the keyboard (I bought one recently… I’m on the office looking at the box that just arrive from the vendor…)

Google is not the best in privacy but there’s crouton and the linux app compatibility.

And the best part: no stupid winderp

I want the same thing, but decided to wait for 1) the new Ryzen mobile APUs to come out, 2) linux support to get fully ironed out, 3) prices to drop when used models to become available.

Linux apparently works on Ryzen mobile now, though some incantations may be necessary.

It’s a bit crazy how expensive “ultrabooks” have gotten. The nice thing about expensive stuff is depreciation hits it harder.

I’m currently happy with the Dell E7250 (FHD) I got. It’s only 2c/4t and is nicely impacted by the latest Intel vulnerabilities (thanks for that!!) but it was super cheap, and I really love the build quality and battery life. I think of it almost as a “disposable” portable device. I don’t have to worry about it like I would for a $1000-$2000 perfect ultrabook.

Oh, and I do like how Intel’s linux drivers (iGPU, wifi) work without a hitch.

In time I still aim to get an AMD 4c/8t (not that I need it) with the better Vega (most useful aspect I think).

I like the ambition. :grin:

I considered it but kept deciding against it because 1) they’re very limited on RAM (soldered!!@#$!), and 2) the decently spec’d ones get insanely expensive, just like other ultrabooks.

1 Like

I actually mentioned it specifically cause he said about SSH into the desktop, so it would just be a vessel

But yeah, good chromebooks are not worth the price and the hassle, only the cheap ones haha

I bought this one for portability, not performance. With a text editor I’ll be good to go write some web pages that will run flawlessly on most computers. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Exactly, but when you can get a more powerful portable device for less $$$ than a chromebook… why bother?

Well, in this case is a no-go for the chromebook then.

I refuse to fund google in any way.