Lab Software for CCNA Studying

So I'm going to start studying for CCNA, not too seriously, I don't have enough time to actually study for the test, I'm mostly doing it for the knowledge and to be more productive in my free time. I have a book already, "CCNA Routing and Switching STUDY GUIDE" by Todd Lammle. I just need some software to run virtual labs. Does anybody have any recommendations? I don't really know what's out there, something free would be great but I don't mind paying if it's quality.

@presserscrew @DeusQain @Dexter_Kane @anon5205053

Look into this.

https://www.gns3.com/software/download

1 Like

I was looking at that ,does it support Cisco devices though?

Actually the documentation says it does't.

At this moment, it is not possible to emulate Catalyst switches with Dynamips/GNS3. This is due to the impossibility to emulate ASIC processors used in those type of devices. However, you can use the EtherSwitch module with 2600s, 3600s and 3700s Series. Keep in mind that this module works differently (uses the vlan database etc.) and doesn’t support the following features:

This is another one I'm familiar with.

http://www.boson.com/netsim-cisco-network-simulator

That one looks pretty good, gotta drop some money though. Do you have any thoughts on virtual vs. buying some switches? At first I was against it but I think it might be a viable option.

You can get a decent CCNA kit for about $500 USD.

I'll look into it. I could combine it with GNS3 as well.

PacketTracer is great. It's developed by Cisco as a CCNA study tool.

2 Likes

GSN3 offers Cisco

You do need to get your hands on a IOS image though

I could do that.

I am using a mix of GNS3 and Pluralsight

Damn Pluralsight is expensive shit. lol

CCNA has its own packet tracker (buggy as fck, but they give you challenges there to work around "fix")

other ones are, listed above, 'ns' and 'opnet' if still around.

I'm no expert, and I'm not nearly to CCNA level, but getting my hands on actual hardware (most notably an old HP ProCurve from basically the dumpster) really taught me a lot more about networking than virtualization. With Linux, virtual machines are as good as physical machines, but with networking gear having experience with actual hardware is really good. Certainly don't abandon the simulator idea, but I would try to get my hands on some real switches too, even if they're a little older.

I work with real switches at work, i just need to be able to play with them, which I cant do at work.

So I got my ccna in route and switch back in February of this year. You do not need a lab or gns3 to prepare. You don't really even need packet tracer. Just read the book and go take the test. You really just need to understand tcp/ip model and how to subnet. Along with all the layer 2 and 3 protocols

1 Like

I would strongly suggest at least Cisco Packet Tracer. I know I am making a return to college to complete my education for Computer Networking. It'll be very useful to practice configuring routers, switches, ETC. I know this thread will prove useful for me when I get back to college and from there on.

"CCNA Routing and Switching STUDY GUIDE" by Todd Lammle won't cover CCNA fully. Are you aware that the curriculum of CCNA has changed? CCNA 2.0 is no more and new Todd Lammle isn't out yet for CCNA 3.0. Unless you plan on giving the exam before august I'd advise against studying from any book rather download the CCNA 3.0 curriculum from cisco website and try to find individual topics yourself.

I used Packet Tracer last semester for CCNA lab work and it was pretty decent at least for the shit we were covering...

I would personally recommend Packet Tracer for CCNA level study and moving up to something like GNS3 for CCNP