L1t kvm switch

I am looking at Level1Techs KVM switch but I want to know if it supports a MST hub on the output.

Also on the dual monitor page it states it only has 1 DP output when it has 2, that should be updated.

@wendell will probably be able to answer that.

Thanks for the help.

It would also be awesome to see a IP based KVM so I can manage my server from another room. my IPMI died on me and I would like a simple web browsers based KVM solution.

I am not sure that you are looking for a kvm. This seems more like remote desktop job for me. Browser based remote desktop is Chrome Remote Desktop ( i believe was the name ). My recommendation for a remote desktop would be AnyDesk.

The thing with remote desktop is it will suck for gaming but as you said server I think a remote desktop is the right program for your needs.

well I want a external solution that is like IPMI, were I do not need to be in a OS to access the server. I can turn on and off the machine, but I can’t tell if it boots fine until it is on the OS. so a cheap device that can transmit video signal to a self hosted web server and it can stream controls back would be great.

on topic I still want to know if the KVM supports MST

I just watched the video of this device, but still no mention of MST Hub support.

I was wondering if its possible to get this KVM switch for VGA? Or any recommendation that do support VGA

@mparm920
This will do the job just fine.

@razvanm3 Thank you for your response. That is the current one we are using but are running into issues with the keyboard and mouse just stop working. A reboot seems to solve it for a bit but then after sitting idle they become unresponsive again. We have it hooked to Ubuntu and Windows 2012 R2 running on Dell Poweredge 330’s

Oh nice, these are back in stock.

I’m thinking about getting a KVM switch myself. Kinda expensive, but I kinda really want it! Someone here who does not feel like that?

However, the L1 Tech KVM switch is not available right now. I would have considered trying that one, though if it does not work good enough I don´t know how sending it back is gonna work out, or if I can even get it (I live in Austria). But we probably will find out soon as the mugs are also very tempting! :smile:

I do have one 1440p 144hz monitor and another 1080p one and the switch must have

• At least 2 PC-inputs (obviously), a 3rd one would be very nice for the occasional PC I have to fix though. I don´t need anymore, but if there is a good one for a decent price sure, but also depends on how clunky it is.
  • It MUST have basically no impact on input lag / display output delay. if this was purely a work-setup I would not care nearly as much. It´s more of a mix of both gaming and work. But if it does introduce some amount of lag, I would rather keep unplugging cables, but it seems really unnecessary for something seemingly so simple.
  • It should ideally switch both monitors, but as a workaround, my 1440p one does have a second input with a pretty nice interface that allows switching without getting mad at it. Though it´s not perfect as I wanted to keep that one available for a Nintendo switch, that I didn´t buy yet, because I’m waiting for that one special game that I know they are making, but is not out yet! (Massdrop gogo make the switch deal while there is still time!).

It also would be AMAZING (but optional) if it would have a single thunderbolt output for my notebook that does everything (maybe including charging). Basically, if there is a wonder KVM switch out there that does everything and more that I have not yet seen yet at any price point. sure, point me at it and even if it´s like a thousand dollars it´s worth a consideration as good thunderbolt docks seem to cost a lot as well.

i felt the same way and I was kicking myself after the pre-orders were over until the second batch was in stock. I highly recommend it. I’m using the dual-port one, it’s damn good.

No perceptible input lag. I have two identical monitors that I can use to test it if you’re really interested. (In fact, I might go ahead and do that.)

That’s what the dual-port model is for.

@Wendell said these would be back in stock soon. He’s doing another production run now, I believe.

RE: the charging, you’re best off getting a thunderbolt “dock” for that functionality. I don’t think that trying to build that feature into a KVM would work out well. Not to mention, this device is mostly a firmware modification to make it special.

1 Like

Wow, that was some quick reply!

Perceptible is kinda relative as im also the type of guy who has gsync, but does not use it 95% of the time for that very reason. I probably would not notice it either in most games. But I mainly play the same semi-competitive game for the last 2 years and after playing the same game for that amount of time you do notice when things “feel off”, very clearly. And any visual gains really get more and more irrelevant.
But, that said, i would expect a $550 KVM Switch to have a delay of basically <=1ms or virtually non-existent anyways.

Yup, kinda what I was expecting too. It´s probably better to keep them separate regardless, so you can replace the dock if it should fail. My current experience with dongles is not exactly what I would describe as “the future”. So I was gonna go with something I would describe more as a dock with powered USB ports (!) sometime. The sad thing is just that that and a KVM switch can very well cost me as a lot of people pay for their entire PC.

That´s good to know. Then wait and seen when “soon” will be. :slight_smile: