L1's Garage

They were mainstream 40 years ago aswell.
My 1984 Alto and 1988 Justy (both last year of production) have 3-cyl engines.

One 0.8L making 40hp, and one 1.0L making 54hp.
All on carbs, n/a.

Honestly, n/a engines have barely made any progress in the past 40 years.
These engines are made with shit fuel in mind and low compression.

1 Like

Truee the turbo 3 banger in the gr yaris/corolla is facinating

1 Like

Kswap??? LS na miata?? Or if you wanna get crazy do a camry swap from gears and gasoline

2 Likes

Motorcycles are also cool yes.

Yeah those smaller cars already had 3 cylinders.
NA engines have not really made that much progression indeed.
Some revolutions actually made them worse.
But that mostly to do with environmental restrictions.

Yeah that is an interesting engine.
However it is a very powerful one so kinda curious how long it would last.
If i look at the Ford eco boost engines those were not that great.
But given it being a Toyota i think it is probably one of the better engines.

Ahmmm an SR20? haha

1 Like

Jag-u-wire basically did this with their aj126; didn’t want to make a v6-only block so they borrowed the v8’s block, extra crankshaft space and all:

5ecf8175ec05c4ef5d000012

3 Likes

Yes, that is pretty much what I want to do.
I have bought 2 turbos for this project

See quarters for scale

(small one’s intake measures 25mm)

That is really good to know. Thank you.

That is a really cool gauge, and I’m happy to know of it’s existence.

I’m kinda doubting these carbs have accelerator pumps as pumping the throttle doesn’t seem to do anything for cold starts.

I’ve done a little bit of dirtbike carbs tuning, and I feel I have a good grasp on it.

Thank you. I may be needing more input as I go.

I’ve put some thought into the pulling the carbs and I think I’m just going to get it over with.

Unless it’s a push rod V8. I’m all too familiar with bending my fathers push rods from shifting down too much. RIP, I liked that truck.

2 Likes

So a buddy sent me this vid of an IS300 1jz-gte swap:

Very interesting take on the 1jz/2jz-GTE swap on the IS300 as I’ve never seen the host GTE ECU swapped in as well. Instead you see the following:

• GE ECU (OEM from the car) plus some type of piggyback such as the AEM FIC, Greddy EMU or hell just an SAFC + smart mods to make it work (bank 1 and 2 primary o2s spliced together for the single down-pipe, MAF placement to BOV placement etc).

• Standalone EMS, but wired in parallel with the OEM ECU to retain things like fuel and other gauges, Drive by wire, auto trans etc. This is because many standalones when I was in the game didn’t drive DBW yet

• More recent development, a company makes a standalone + BEANS (Yotas take on CANBUS) integration so this standalone is a true drop-in complete replacement for the OEM ECU

• Parallel wire in the GTE ECU with the GE ECU, GTE ECU used just for fuel and ignition timing control.

But mentioned in the comments of that vid is this company’s stuff:

Very interesting product that seems to retain features lost when you try to do a full standalone swap or do an engine swap with that engine’s ECU and that ECU doesn’t support those BEAMS things the IS300 has.

And then if you watch part three of that 1jz swap, they ultimately gave up on the OEM 1jz-gte ECU due to some weird intermittent stall out that required an ECU reset/ignition cycle to restart. I’m thinking this other all4swap product would have fixed the issue (no auto seen by the GTE ECU)

Auto trans sim. I know a shop that would do some kind of jumper in an auto trans ECU to fool it into thinking the engine was at idle to make swaps and hybrid ECU setups work, but I imagine its sub-optimal for timing and VVTi curves, this sim should do better with that.

Overall super interesting stuff-- Its all come up as we are finally doing a GTE swap in a friend’s IS300 and then doing mine after that. I’m super tempted to run their products and forgo my original plan of using the GE engine harness on the GTE, GE ECU with Greddy EMU and instead keep the GTE harness on the GTE engine, GTE aristo ECU (auto but I’m a manual), and the ATEMU sim plus some re-pins here and there at the ECU. Then still going with a Greddy EMU to tune for the larger injectors and increased power. I just really like starting the “base” of the tune on the GTE ECU that is built and tuned for the GTE’s single primary o2 injector, slightly larger throttle body, different compression, boost etc.

Oh nerdy LVL1 observation- its a Russian URL and my pfblocker should have blocked even accessing those sites, but it didn’t… Or at least I thought I had Russia on there but well well well

Anyhow…

I think I’m game. Game to buy it and try- for science. Install doc here:

And then maybe, maybe have to get the BEANS/CANBUS box as well, but hopefully not as the Aristo ECU really should support all the same stuff/be the same…

1 Like

Beams? reminds me of noriyaro

Yeah when I saw BEANs I thought of the Altezza’s BEAMs 4cyl haha. Crud I even wrote BEAMS in the post, let me fix it.

A little on BEAN

Break:

I’ve been in the IS300 and Yota scene for a long… looooong time. Hard to express the excitement of seeing breakthroughs like those sims. So many other brands and platforms have what seems like all the support. its nice to have options.

1 Like
1 Like

Great video. Given that he doesn’t have clear and accurate numbers, I like how he went about his calculations. Nothing over the top and pretty realistic. Also, to add: No use in having more batteries/range when the driver needs to rest after however many hours of driving. And the truck has more than enough time to charge then. Although, I highly doubt that real truck charging stations will look like those in the tesla promo video. That’s a awful lot of space wasted, where trucks could be. Yeah, yeah, demonstration, I know…

1 Like

I’ve always said people always frame EVs in the same light they do gas cars. That’s why when they predict oh EVs are gonna lose or… someone is an EV evangelist or HyDrOgEn is the way type hydrogen evangelists I just know to toss out everything I heard.

Honestly I’m of the mindset that those who say things can’t be done should get the fuck out of the way of the people trying to do it before the people trying to do it steamroll over them

It sucks but the reality of technologies that create paradigm shifts is that all your old rules to predict stuff is completely irrelevant. You are starting from a clean slate. I admit that can be scary for investors and normies alike

Anyways yes he tries to be very balanced in how he approaches stuff. I think ultra long haul hydrogen makes more sense like I spoke to @MisteryAngel about before but for things under 800 miles… the Tesla class 8 can totally do the job. The sucking thing about how green technology is being pushed is it’s being pushed as one solution over the other and that’s just completely wrong. We really should introduce more diversity into our systems and stop investing in the same three things over and over and over again

1 Like

Short form hauls ftw. Anything above 1000km should be delivered with trains. For smaller distances the electric trucks would be ideal. Although, in Europe that means from Ljubljana to about Berlin, but that doesn’t matter.
Most people drive 8hours and then have to rest, but most inner city hauls are just deliveries to various stores and shops, and construction sites. Which electricity would be ideal for!
In Linz and most other big Austrian cities public transport is mostly gas (not petrol, but you know gas form), or electricity in the form of trolley busses, which have cables they get electricity from, and finally trams. I find that to be a great implementation. Then you have diesels for longer inter city tracks.

The US has a massive train network but it’s diesel electric. Your unlikely to see this become purely electrified in many decades to come

Yes it would be. The distances in the US are huge. For example what I consider a casual drive to my parents house is 40+ miles and it’s a 4.5 ish hours drive for me. Lounge haul trucking is a thing in the US simply because it has to be

Rail can only do so much especially in the west where I live. Generally more rugged, huge distances between people and harsh punishing weather across the landscape does make trains fairly as expensive as trucks on the interstate and if you look at the map. Trains are only useful for hub to hub in the hub spoke system

US rail map

On a grander scale here is what has been electrified (other than commuter rails)

Salt Lake City is the next place they will start electrifying as its a very large rail hub

Highway map:

(yes we were insane enough to build this)

Trucks simply work better for a lot of things in the US

1 Like

Alright guys and lady help me out.

What color is this? Very specifically because I’m extraordinarily tempted to go custom on the aptera for this

In fact I want all my cars in that color

Best guess;
Black suede.
Also known as black primer with a semi gloss seal coat.

2 Likes

I love the look. It’s basic but God damn. I love it because it doesn’t catch my eye if this were to be in my vision I’d ignore the shit out of it

GMRS Radio going into the truck hopefully this weekend. Pretty much all the parts are here, its just a question of time and effort.

3 Likes

Half the time… do twice the effort this weekend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Times more valuable

1 Like