L1's Garage

There is something weird somewhere, but it isn’t the LEDs. If they work with the turn signals, but not the hazards, it is due to the bikes low voltage (B/c for whatever reason the hazards are not 12v (my analogue meter is too high of a scale to read, and the electric ones are useless without logging. Same wires are being energized for turn vs. hazard. So, I dunno. They are imports so I cannot just try another set anyways. I suppose it could be the controller boards. There is quite a bit of excess circuitry when all it really needs is a bit of overvolt protection and not much else.

Also, if you turn the hazards on and then turn one of the turn signals on, the turn signal will be the only one flashing and much dimmer then with the hazards off. Hazards dont flash at all of/c. I can certainly look into things at some point. Since the LEDs do light up it should be something else relatively easy to solve. I can dissemble it and change parts. I thought just stepping the voltage up might be the nice lazy solution though. That should solve the problem without causing damage to the lights. I can always be wrong. /s Would be nice to get another set.

1 Like

@anon85933304 's To the rescue, so there was no rescue required. Nice news like this is all too rare.

6 Likes

I replaced the stock incandescent bulbs in my bike’s taillight with LEDs I got off of eBay. The stock incandescents where 2-3 times as bright as the shitty LEDs I bought. There are certainly LEDs out there that will work, but quality is important.

1 Like

These are a far cry from some ebay lights. (I’d like to think anyways.) These were 300$ imports, Gotta love the insurance moneys. :smiley: So F me. They seem to be good quality looking at everything else. The boards are pretty clean, nothing stands out as a poor design on them. The taillight is actually about as bright as the incandescent just quite a bit sharper. Just the turn signals that are having trouble.

edit. And having a second thought on this, I have no idea if my bike had the wiring harness recall done and maybe it doesnt matter for this. And Having incandescents in the front might make a difference as well, since I do have those for the front turnsignals. That might be a good place to start. remove those and see where it sits. Go from there.

Some vehicles (esp. older ones) use the electrical properties of the light to run turn signals.

It’s why sometimes you’ll see a vehicle’s turn signal blink rapidly or slowly, something might be fucky with one of their lights.

3 Likes

Took dau to dentist, In the pile of womens magazines I spotted a new C+D!
Corvette will be mid-engine, and the rear leaf spring is being replaced by coil springs
The article on VW engines, including a W-16, was kinda cool.

Basically the corvette is gonna be replaced by a Fiero :):sob:

2 Likes

Anyone familiar with OSRAM Night Breaker headlight bulbs? I had a bulb go out recently and the Night Breaker bulbs seem to be pretty bright and get decent ratings. A lot cheaper than the PIAA bulb that went out too!

I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Except that we’re going to have some really good lemons cars in 20 years. :smiley:

1 Like

I actually have a pair in my e-code lights on my Jetta. Very nice bulbs.

S10 manual swap update:
I’ve made a bit of progress on the S10. Clutch master cylinder is installed along with the firewall mat and pedals.

Pictures

I’m going to take a short break, and get my Volvo mostly drivable.

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t mind a modern Fiero, but I don’t think I’d want the Corvette to be anything like one. Who knows though, maybe it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

If any Amerikanskis need car parts you can use LPUCBX for 30% off (up to $100 off total) online orders at Advance Auto.

I’m ordering calipers tonight.

1 Like

My dude! Thanks!

Race car always needs oil, since it drinks it worse than a rotary.

I’m going to try to place another order later as well and maybe double dip a little.

The calipers max out the discount, but if I can make a second order without issue then I’m probably going to order a pile of consumables while I can get them cheap. Maybe order a battery since I have no idea how old the one in my car is.

1 Like

Batteries are always nice to have. I’ve got one in every car! :smiley:

2 Likes

I found my solution to the led brightness. I am just dumb. :smiley: It is plenty bright when actually in it’s proper housing. I was looking at it in direct sunlight like an idiot. Anyways, it is only the hazards that don’t like to function. That at least makes me less annoyed. One day, I might actually figure out what in the world I am doing.

2 Likes

I come here to announce that I have claimed electronic victory over the demon megasquirt.

The Miata is back on the road and it’s better than ever. Flatfoot shifting, more precise AFR targets, etc…

Also, it idles properly, which is more than can be said about the stock ECU. :smiley:

Next up, coolant reroute and EGR blockoff. The EGR blockoff is probably gonna require some tune adjustments, but will be so worth it.

3 Likes

Got my winter tires off last weekend. Feels so good.

Also, getting ready to do the auto to manual swap. The transmission is pretty done at 248k.

2 Likes

Damn, you’re definitely getting up there.

That’s so cool man. I’m glad you were able to get it running better than before. Congrats!

You’ve really got me thinking about getting one.

1 Like