L1's Garage

I want a hooned out Skyline like that one day.

Jezus Christ, i got a mini hart attack because of that clickbait

3 Likes

lmfao, same. Don’t watch scotty much anymore since it felt like the same thing week after week but I will watch a video that pops up.

I found another rabbit hole to go down into, headlights and tail lights!
There are some pretty nice smoked ones. Or I can just go with some good ol LED head lights.
Definitely going to fix the position though, I hate being blinded by oncoming traffic so I would hate to do the same to other drivers.

1 Like

Just had rear rotors and pads replaced today on my 3… 97k on stock setup, not bad.

2 Likes

Check the heat shields around the cats.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll take a look at it this evening. I looked up a couple more videos and that’s what it sounds most like to me.

Light switch bracket that fits in OEM Ash tray spot for the lights coming.

4 Likes

How are electric vehicles the future if they cannot engine break.

Have you test driven an EV yet?

I might be missunderstanding, but if you’re talking about using an engine to slow down in a gas vehicle, then EVs do this very well because when you let off the accelerator pedal it uses the motor as a generator to charge the battery and slow you down rather then using the friction brakes (to a point).

I hardly use the friction brakes in my Spark EV, and it slows down quickly enough that they needed to make the brake lights turn on when you let of the accelerator pedal.

It might sound a bit gimmicky, but my car can easily regen 30kw of energy while slowing down. That’s enough to run 20 space heaters. Lol

Hopefully I understood correctly, and this answers your question.

TL;DR EVs do have very strong engine (motor) braking

4 Likes

You can also “tune” the level of engine braking you want depending on how much you care about the regeneration vs feel, similar to how you can tune an engine to just coast for an eon when you let off the throttle like most automatic cars.

1 Like

they can motor brake.

but Im sure they could motor break also…

3 Likes

I was gonna say… EVs engine break much better and infinitely more efficiently than gas vehicles.

The real thing that’s holding me back is the price - reliability - performance cost that is associated with them at the moment. I don’t want a Leaf simply because I personally think they’re uglier than the Prius. I was hoping the Model 3 would be attractive, but it’s not. The Hyundai Kona seems like the only reasonably good-looking EV that costs under 800k.

2 Likes

Bull…

The coming Tesla Roadster is sexy and only 250K

Sorry, 250k.

You get my point though.

Only reasonably good looking EV that doesn’t too much.

but… all those angry electrons.

Gotta become their friends before it’s too late.

2 Likes

Fuck EV’s.

Eat me.

EVs are where it’s all going. They’re great, the problem is not so much about if but when EVs will take over the market. We need to sort out fueling or range, but once that’s done, we’re set.

Give me a 600mi range on an EV and I’ll be set.

That’s not to say that gas powered cars are going away any time soon, but that EVs will soon be the cheaper option.

1 Like

No, they won’t be the cheaper option soon. They are still going to be 40 to 60k a pop. If you don’t road trip and have a predictable schedule with driving in specific ranges they MAY work for you. But if it gets too cold… uh oh, range loss. Gets too hot… range loss. Charging station at your apartment, nope, can’t do it. Charging station at a condo… maybe, but only if its allowed. Charging station where you are going… better research it. And allow hours to charge up so if you go from moderate temps to cold temps you may not be able to make your destination. EV’s are probably 35 to 50 years from becoming mainstream. Maybe by then we will have figured out what to do with the insidious chemicals from these huge batteries.

There are plenty of gasoline cars that are that expensive, but beyond that, as manufacturing goes up, prices go down. EV’s are incredibly simple compared to the complexity of tradition engines. And the “cheaper” option is more referencing the part where electricity is cheaper to produce the gasoline especially with solar on the rise.

The range loss when it gets cold, is minimal at best, and you’re forgetting the part where when people start running mostly ev’s we can start to power the roads they are on. (Something that is already done in SKorea and something Tesla specifically is prototyping if you are to believe Mr. Musk.) You only allows hours to charge up if you are not stopping at a charge station. If you are, you wait 30 minutes and are back on the road.

And spoiler, EV’s are already becoming mainstream today. Everyone knows about them. The reason you dont see them everywhere yet, is b.c the used market just doesnt have the volume. Something that will change drastically in the next 10 years most likely.

That all being said, im moving to a different topic I dunno if I mentioned here at all. MV Agusta is not updating their F4 1000cc super bike. Instead they intend to design a halo bike. Something with a KERS electronic system. Holy shit, I want KERS on a motorbike.

edit: I add link to something I saw a bit ago. This reminded me of it tho. https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/mv-agusta-f4-superbike-end-racing-claudio/