L1's Garage

I’ve been thinking about getting either a Tesla model 3 or Nissan leaf

,…

Leaf still has option for full tax credit.

But the model 3 has farther range… and better performance ( if getting high end version)

Leaf is cheaper, But does have a 62kwh battery option now

Stale mate?

I personal am not a fan of the Model 3 interior to the point it ruins that car for me.

Leaf is I good simple and practical EV. Looks like they dropped the price since I last looked at them, but add the 62kwh option which starts at 36,550. That bigger battery also bumped down the 0-60 to around 7 seconds (can’t find exact time).

I’d recommend also considering the Chevy Bolt. It starts at 36,620 with a 60kwh battery, and it a bit quicker at 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

The Leaf is more comfortable then the Bolt, but the bolt has a better infotainment center (IMO), and more cargo area.
The Bolts battery is thermally controlled (heated or cooled), which is better for very hot and cold days, and should give you the max 80watt lvl 3 charge for a longer time. The Leaf has a max 100watt level 3 charger, but last I checked it tapers off as the battery heats up (haven’t looked at the new 62kwh so this might not be a problem anymore.

TL;DR Model 3 is probably a grate car, but I don’t like it.
Nissan leaf (36,550 for 226 miles) is a very comfortable, practical and mature EV.
Chevy Bolt ($36,620 for 238 miles) is a very fun, with a better infotainment.

I’d recommend test driving them, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those options.

Not willing to go with used?

Every time this thread floats up to the top I keep thinking it says L1’s Garbage. lol

Here’s a car pic just so I stay on topic lol.

1 Like

I can’t read “sti” without thinking herpes.

2 Likes

Or LSD.
Though they’re the same spelling.

1 Like

No tax credit if I did…

Hey man, I just got a new lsd!

26659390-26659390

4 Likes

True. I do feel EVs are a little over priced because of that credit.

How many miles do you drive in a day?

Was averaging about 70 until recently. Should be less now

Same. They took minimalism and went way overboard. Wheres my driver-centric dash? Where’s my physical controls?

The rest of the interior feels poorly made as well.

1 Like

Are you going to have another car that’s gas?

You can pick up 1st gen Leafs, and Spark EVs for less then 8k, but 70miles would be a stretch unless it’s all city driving, and you don’t get very many cold days. Level 3 chargers get you to 80% charge in less then 15 minutes (we usually stop for less then 10 minutes).

Not trying to push you in any direction just trying to lay out as many options as I can.

Edit: @nx2l oh I almost forgot the if you care about performance then the only cheap used option is the Chevy Spark EV 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. It’s an absolute hoot, but it is squirrely. Fair amount of torque steer thanks to 327-400 lb-ft (depending on year) of torque.

Also see what level 3 charger options you have around you. Chevy, Nissan, and Tesla all have different level 3/super chargers, and many of them can be broken so keep an eye out for that as well.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten in a model 3 yet, so I don’t know what that’s all about.

It’s all about getting the tesla zealots who don’t make 6 figures into a tesla.

I have a love hate relationship with Tesla.
I would absolutely love to have a RWD Model S.

1 Like

progress. a bunch of clips and such are missing though so i need to get that situated before reassembly.

I did at least make sure they fit though and the sub harness does work with it despite being done almost entirely differently than the USDM headlights

3 Likes

Yes. and Ive put almost 60k on my car in less than 3 years…

if I care about 0-60 … i should go with the model 3… the performance version it can do it in 3.5 seconds

1 Like

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. :confused:

1 Like

is it a 8.8?

I suddenly understand the appeal of ASMR

2 Likes

lol wut?