L1's Garage

Got to ride in my boss’s car again, Volvo S90 T6 “Inscription”. Has far less horsepower than I thought it would have, only has just over 300 HP from it’s turbo- and supercharged inline 4 cyl.

Seems like its reaching the limits of a presumably low displacement engine.

It’s a 2.0 liter or something.

Yeah, that’s 2.45hp/ci. A 6l (366ci) at that effeciency would be at 900hp.

That sounds like a waste.

VW has reached good efficiency with their supercharger+turbo 1.4/1.5L engines.
They decouple the supercharger at mid revs and up tho.

In a car that weighs over 4000 pounds too.

Ride was smooth though.

Okay, I guess that’s fair. I just see that as extra complexity for not much gain. Really just looks like a bit of low-end torque.

That makes sense. They don’t need the parasitic loss and the turbo is already providing all the boost they need.

I got a 2.3l ford in trade. Apperently it was built for salt lakes racing and supposedly had fastest land speed record for a few hours in a 1990ish Ford Ranger. This engine has custom mechanical fuel injection and lots of r+d in the head. I’m thinking of trying rally and would like some suggestions of an appropriate car, rwd or awd. I don’t have a transmission yet so suggestions for that as well.
Thanks.
Some pics;

1 Like

MG BGT? Lol first thing that came to mind.

I’d keep an eye on Craigslist for something cheap, that has a bit of cool factor to it.

1 Like

There it is. Beautiful.

Someone actually put a smart car in a truck.

7 Likes

it has a model name you know… it’s called the fortwo… they used to make other models too… I quite like the roadster they made…

1 Like

There’s also a Smart forfour.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell it’s not sold in the states, just the fortwo. I quite like the crossblade too, very quirky. Lol the forfour has a smaller engine than my bike.

Oh, the forfour isn’t sold here. Sad day.
I was trying to convince my mother to get one. She likes small cars, but the fortwo is just too small, but she was somewhat interested in the 4.

I do like the way the new one look… Like a lot. Lol

MINI makes solid cars since they’re essentially just reskinned BMWs now.

We were looking at those, and she likes them, but she wasn’t impressed with the fuel economy. Don’t remember what it was though.

What are you getting?

My cooper gets like 40mpg… not gonna get much better than that unless you go hybrid

Hmm. Wonder if it was just the one we where looking at, like maybe it was the supercharged one or something. I’ll bring it up again.

I own the same car been great! use it for work every day, way over loaded. its just done 300k