L1's Garage

i kind of need an auto at this point. 2 years of driving exclusively stick is starting to cause me hip problems.

Nooo! Not you too.

RIP manual. It was fun while it lasted.
Salute_cri|nullxnull

1 Like

Manuals are like waifus… they wear out after a few years.

1 Like

lol never said i was going to I was speaking for the sensible side of me. in all reality i’ll probably just mangle myself to where i’ll need surgery at age 35 but it’s okay because i’ll be swimming in pussy because i drive a stick.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to use this one.

1 Like

And other lies people like to tell themselves vol. 1

2 Likes

What’d you say about my waifu, why I’m gonna, I oughta…

Personally I’ve seen a lot more autos blow up than manuals.

And that’s coming from a family that mostly drives manual.

Anyways my heart can only take so much. I’m going to hide away in Horizon 4 with my manual settings.

1 Like

I mean, that was the joke.

1 Like

I’ve seen the opposite.

Granted my dad was a mechanic for 20 years or so and we heard all the stories about how somebody melted the clutch in their Saturn or how another person shattered two pistons in their WRX.

2 Likes

I think we see more manuals damaged, when we’re talking about following proper maintenance, but if you don’t change the ATF on an auto, you’ll wind up killing it.

Yeah, maintenance is key on any car. It seemed like my dad would get a car every single day where the owner would bitch about the noise the car is making, just for it to turn out that the oil was last changed 20,000 miles prior…

1 Like

I had been mulling over the idea of replacing the chrome bar grill on my car with one of OEM sport mesh grills

~$300

lolno.

Have you heard of VANOS seals :smiley:

Oh the poor Supra owners in about 5 years time. :smiley:

1 Like

hehe, that’s why one of our f650’s needed new bearings. company prior neglected to check the seals or the gear oil levels. we only found out because it got a stuck caliper on one of the back wheels. changing the rotor involves removing the entire hub assembly down to the spindle. in the process, noticed there was a shitload of brake dust mixed with gear oil, and then noticed the inner bearing felt gritty.

the other one on the same side, front hub, had essentially no lubrication. all told, i think it was liek a 3-4k brake job. all 4 calipers, all 8 bearings, and all 4 rotors and seals.

VANOS Seals

2 Likes

Guess it’s not quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but dang that still sucks.

Found a random kindred spirit when I was taking my mom to lunch this weekend:

Eventually I’ll add the 1.5" lift and BFG’s to my Crosstrek too.

Also found a great way to store trail shoes in the back:

5 Likes

Yeah. That’s called doing it wrong.
Autos are pretty much idiot-proof, but if someone properly drives a manual I believe they’ll far outlast pretty much any auto.

Also clutches are way cheaper then a trans rebuild.

3 Likes

This. I was already lost with the BMW relabel aspect, but this puts one giant nail in the coffin.

Its not to say autos suck, or that there are not versions that will out-perform a manual- to not give a sporty car this option- your ‘sports car’ DNA is compromised, you loose me. I think Jay Leno would say it better but pretty much its about the feel, the connection- who cars if the auto trims .5-1 second off a nurburgring track time- some people want the manual experience. The new GTR did this as well- I was super interested and then saw only auto as option- nope, never, not even looking anymore.

1 Like

Exactly!
It’s the option that’s important here, but they’re choosing to do away with it, in hopes of competing with the likes of exotics, which they’ll fall far short of, performance-wise.

1 Like