L1's Garage

I’d say DIYautotune gives you debian/ubuntu, the kit gives you gentoo.

1 Like

Yeah, drift truck!

That’s very cool. Glad to see it coming along.

Had the zexel torsen in my last s10, HATED that it would unlock when taking turns. So trying an Eaton limited slip this time. Also have the 2.25 turn steering box so its going to be a handful I think.

1 Like

Last best American car ever made was the Mercury Marauder.

1 Like

Faulty valve cover gaskets. Oil is being slung up when I lay my foot down. Oil is hitting the exhaust manifold burning off and giving a burnt oil smell.

Alright, so this might be a mostly rhetorical question, as I don’t know if I really want to do this in any case.

Basically I may want to put a plow on my truck. The guy who has the plow would have to do some cutting and welding and remove the front bumper to even get it to work. But he mentioned that putting the plow on my half ton truck might not be the best option, and that the front end would be squatting quite a bit.

So my question is what would I do to beef up the front suspension? And maybe lift it just a bit? Is there really much that can be done with the IFS?

The truck:

IIRC, those use torsion bar springs, would definitely look into swapping them out for hd or lift ones, maybe pirate4x4 will have a decent sub forum for those trucks.

also that extra weight is going to change the handling

It is indeed torsion bar based front suspension. For a little bit I ran the truck with cranked torsion bars, and it raised the front end about an inch and a half. I backed that back down to stock when I noticed noises coming from the front end. Not good.

I’ll look into different torsion bars and keys maybe. The problem I’ve always heard of is there isn’t all that much room for adjustment because of the steering/suspension geometry. Hence the noises mentioned above.

I forgot to mention that this truck has a whole bunch of heavy duty RPO codes in the glove box: F44, brakes, radiator, oil/trans cooler, suspension, a few other things. It’s basically a “heavy” half ton.

Also, my dream would be to do a solid front axle swap. It really is a dream, though. I don’t think I have the knowledge or skills to do that. I have access to a 6BT Cummins with an Allison transmission, but that would be way out there. Huge job and almost certainly beyond what I could do. And I would need some Dana 60/80 axles front and rear. Definitely a dream.

1 Like

Airbags are often used to temporarily beef up a suspension. You could just inflate them when the plow is on to stiffen it up then deflate when it’s off for the season.

2 Likes

Ooh i didn’t consider front bags, a great idea if you’re going to be taking the plow on and off @marasm

If they even make them for ifs 4x4

It’s probably going to have to be a custom fab job but it should be fairly elementary as far as fabrication goes.

1 Like

Happy New Year guys and gals!

Deboss garage blowing up an engine that’s bigger than @SgtAwesomesauce’s Miata.

2 Likes

Last ride of 2018.

A Pontiac Solstice sits on an empty street, a Panther in front. This security company can use this photo for a fee.

Obligatory. INB4 @Skelterz tells me to burn my POS.

2 Likes

Funny thing about those pickups, they all look the same to me. :slight_smile:

Ouch muh heart.

Jezus what the actual fuck. Why are manuals so expensive? Automatics are less than half the cost. Still waiting on the shop to call back with a quote for parts but If hes not any better ill just go with summit.

1 Like

Are, you ordering all that?

Waiting for a quote from a local speed shop. All the used transmissions are around $2k so I might as well buy a rebuilt or new one.

Wow, that’s pricy. What about junkyards?

None in yards around here.
Only thing available are T-5s out of mustangs. They may work but they only hold up to 250-300 ft/lb torque. That’s a gamble, and I’m not a betting man.

1 Like