L1's Garage

hybrid truck

I would be totally down for this as long as it had a large engine but also a non-prius-sized electric motor so that it can actually haul some ass if I need it to. All dat torque, tho :smiley:

1 Like

How would you go about doing that?

I’d be extremely interested in that sort of conversion.

I’ve got some janky AF ideas to combine the gas and electric throttle, and still be able to use the electric motor while I’m shifting. Let me see if I can organize my thoughts real quick.

I’d be keeping the 190hp & 250 ft-lbs v6 in it, so it’ll have an insane amount of torque, but that will be a long way out.

2 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce so I have an idea to run the front wheels of my S10 with a motor, so it can continue pulling even when I’m shifting. I want to combine the throttles, so in order to maintain throttle on the motor while I let of the gas pedal, I want to have a solenoid to clamp the motors throttle from moving while I shift (I’ll probably use a botton on the shifter to activate the electric throttle hold).

These are just in my head, so I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but that’s a start for the plans I have.

I have a golf cart motor to run tests with, but I’m not ready for that either.

1 Like

You’re a mad genius. Watching eagerly.

1 Like

Oh you, stop it.
tumblr_inline_nvaozdlMMu1r06ws2_500

I have so many ideas, but not nearly enough money or time to do them.

1 Like

Story of my life.

I’ve been wanting to start really digging into the feasibility of electric vehicles and fast-charging battery technology. The problem with EV’s as I see it currently (ba-dum-tiss), is that they take so long to charge. I don’t consider tesla’s battery swap theory as an acceptable solution to the problem. I’m bound to wind up with someone elses abused battery and that’s not fair to me since I’ve treated mine well.

I wonder about multi-stage shallow cells that can charge in 30 minutes, but are capable of putting out massive amounts of current.

The idea is you have 10 “stages” of battery. Each stage lasts for 30 or so miles. The car’s motors only pull from one stage at a time and when the first stage is drained, it starts pulling from the second stage, and so on.

When you plug the car in to charge, it can charge all 10 stages simultaneously. Obviously, this will take an immense amount of power, but for a shorter time period. I’m interested to see if it’s doable.

1 Like

Fast charging really isn’t bad at all. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the Nissan Leaf charges to 80% in about 15min, and that should be plenty to finish running around and get you home assuming your not traveling.

EVs are supposed to be charged at home so you start every day with a full charge, so unless your going to drive over 130 miles in a day you’ll only need to stop at a charge station for about 5min. No need to stop if your driving under 80 miles.

It’s pretty hard to abuse the battery. Flooring it everywhere from what I can tell doesn’t do heart it anymore then not. My theiry on that is when you floor it it’s harder on it, but for less time. I don’t know how accuret that is, but comparing my battery’s SoH (state of health), is better then most, and I drive (almost exclusively) 80mph on the freeway, and floor it everywhere (I do this with my gas cars too, it’s a problem).

An interesting idea. I would think you’d want them to wear out evenly. And would you pull from them all when your getting on it?

This could be nice for a more budgeted build, but large companies would probably just make a more powerful charger.

I have an idea to make an infinitely scalable EV conversion kit inspired by the rotory engine, but much easier to scale.

2 Likes

Honestly, when EV’s start to become daily place, I suspect the infrastructure will be updated (Although this is the United states we are talking) to accommodate them.

Now when we talk about battery where, that is a tough one. It isnt like batteries are perfect. So while there are IC’s that we can add to batteries to even the wear out (much like controllers on an ssd.) the batter is affected by outside factors such are temperature. However part of the problem with car batteries is abusing them in terms of charge capacity. Ideally you want the battery to live somewhere between 40% and 60%. (ish? People argue over the %'s but the idea is generally agreed upon) Which is just not going to happen with todays technology.

As for your idea of charging all tend “stages” well, that is sort of how things work. Kinda. To my understanding (remember I work with IC’s and not batteries) there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly mostly any battery is going to have many cells. Each cell outputs a certain voltage (say 4V) and then the entire system will output 12V. Efficiency is a big deal here. Yea, you can pump energy into it quickly, but too quickly itll get hot, start a fire, or itll in essence abuse the battery and itll start to swell after quite some time. (for lithium)

Tesla’s quick charger stations? I have no idea. I know they take absurd amounts of power. Tesla has certainly made advances in the tech. What gets me curious is to why EV motorcycles can get the same distance as many of the cars 110miles. I get the weight and everything, but a gasline bike typically get ~200miles. Cars get way more then that most of the time for the big ol tanks.

2 Likes

Ah yes. I meant to put that in my comment. I know I should do that, but I don’t.

Personally, I dont think it matters too much. Keeping the battery at those levels is a “preventive” measure. In theory if we can overcome the “crystal things” Ill call it, it wont be as big of a deal.

~~Yes I am looking to see if I can find the papers on the “crystal things” I promise you they are a thing. And they break shit.

2 Likes

from what I gather this bike has a similar rang to my Leaf.

I’m thinking about getting it despite my concerns about bikes.
1 Like

Zero motorcycles has some well built ones that I have heard many good things about. I think I know the name Alta, but have never heard of anyone having one or liking it. There is also Energica and lightning, but those are two different beasts.

I know what your talking about.

WHAT ARE THEY CALLED! Its killing me. I know I read some papers on it a while back when I was looking into batteries to go with the solar cells I manufactured.

Problem is it was like 2 years ago, so those papers have been buried underneath all the new stuff, on zinc and whatnot

And on another note. If it can be done, I forsee graphene playing a big role in future batteries. The material cost is just unbeatable.

1 Like

The company I work for got one to see if they could make something for it, and they all were loving it. I heard lots of good things about it from our engineering team.

Personally I want the bikes that can follow me like a lil’ puppo

I def have concerns about he strength of the forks. esp. in any sort of a collision, while you have other things to worry about then the bike, it would be nice for it to survive still.
2 Likes

Haha. That’s pretty crazy. I doubt I could afford that though.

1 Like

Alright I give up. I cannot find anything on the “crystal things” It exists, but I am not even knowledgeable to find it again. For that purpose it can pretty much be disregarded. That was a slippery slope into getting stupidly technical with no real purpose. None of us here are trying to actually design a battery.

I think I know a video that talks about it.

Edit: @The_Russian_Spoider
Time stamped.