L1's Garage

Found me a new YT channel to follow.
This guy is right up my alley with all his weird small cars.

2 Likes

phew … its gonna still need work but I think I got a lot of solid content in here

Wow, much respect for the effort put into that post! I’ll have to have a closer look when it’s not 2am. Lol

Yeah I need to sleep. deuces its 2 am here as well… thanks man haha

1 Like

What’s up gear head lounge. Not much activity today

Nikosil cylinder liners (ceramic) are cool as shit if I ever rebuild that drz it’s getting one

Expensive though… a V8 would cost like 2100 dollars but lol you’d never have to worry about the bore and cross hatch again. Nor the Pistons if you coated them and the rings :joy: that would be ridiculous wonder if someone’s ever done that

Imagine that build on a 5.0 ford and twin turboing it with forged Pistons and rods… it already has a forged crank . Using better studs and since it has a four bolt main… you could make some POWAH

Let’s light this puppy… discussion… engage you asked for a rebuttal sorry for it being long and also going on the assumption of electrical being one of the main alternatives currently

My rebuttal would be that there is far to much hype around other methods of movement. Electricity especially. Electric motors have great efficiency I won’t deny that but it’s still not the great as it can’t be from source to rubber on the road. You know greenhouse emissions don’t just come out of a tailpipe. Electric cars emit GHGs both in their production and during their charging.

First, the production of the electric batteries requires lithium, cobalt, and manganese. Manufactures end up expending a large amount of energy on mining and processing these raw materials. Take into account you can’t really strongly electrify the mining process and given its usually remote the internal combustion engine and it’s inefficiency’s you discussed occur here in even higher amounts than say a pickup truck.

I found a new German study completed by the researchers Christoph Buchal, Hans-Dieter Karl, and Hans-Werner Sinn. They claim that almost 15000 kg of CO2 on average for what is the most efficient 75 kwh battery on the market the Tesla 75kw battery. Great tech amazing battery. Extremely harsh on the environment to make lifecycle wise. Also redo that about every 8-10 years and you see where that’s going. Also multiply that for every battery of electric cars made give or take… we aren’t saving much.

Now heres the thing… no tail pipe emissions sounds great right. I even love that idea I really do except my engineer mind gets in the way. See the US Energy Information Administration states that 63 percent of total electricity generation in the United States is created using fossil fuels. If the electricity being used to power the electric cars is being produced using fossil fuels, then using electric cars is simply shifting CO2 emissions from the tailpipe of the car to the electricity power plant and well we run into the issue. Couple the inefficiency’s of charging, converting the voltages, powering the motor (controller inefficiency’s, hysterisis loss, losses after the motor in putting the power to the ground, grid losses to get energy to your house, and power plant inefficiencies etc. I mean if we factor the power from source to road on both equally … electric does slightly better this comparison being fair and using all our data on how much energy is used from extraction to refining to pumping and distribution and into our cars. In reality electric comes out on top by a max of around 11.5 percent and sometimes can be at a loss. So I’m curious as to see what is a viable alternative to both electric and combustion? Any ideas or is combustion alright and we should consider greener fuels. I love electric don’t get me wrong I’m an electrical engineer by trade… the cars are fun and cool but they are only going to work if we find a better way to store the energy and propel the car. Current methods just aren’t there on a macro scale to be green. It can be done green it absolutely could. We need far better battery tech and we need a 100 percent renewable power grid… for now we have neither but I guess there’s hope.

The downside of electric cars is how much they rely on a centralized system. That’s good and bad depending where you politically stand. Also I personally think they are fine for someone who ha she knowledge to fix these complex electronic systems. I could but can I expect the average person to? Nah… so combustion in my opinion is fine let’s research greener fuels in the interim and lesson our impact on how we get them. Like discussed in the alternative fuels thread. Electric cars are arguably cleaner but by how much over their lifecycle?

There are lots of solutions. Engineers are investigating each in their own right but sometimes there’s a good reason the internal combustion engine is still king. Ironically enough if you really think about it. Gasoline and Diesel were the original green fuels :wink: far greener than coal powered trains and boats haha.

And hey we forgot about the external combustion engine… steam engine ring a bell. There are other methods other than steam to do it. We have other methods to heat (natural gas instead of coal) it could always be reexamined.

@MazeFrame and I had a short discussion about this though. I thought of making a small diesel electric car where a small diesel power a generator that powered the motors. However due to losses in conversion it’s probably not viable.

a little bit more on the combustion engine

What limits it’s efficiency in say a diesel for example?. It’s the amount of air you can cram into that cylinder and compress right? We took the wrong route in making diesels clean. We took the route of bolting on shit and spewing so much fuel into the tail pipe to convert particulates to ash on CO2. Not only could we have gone the route of biodiesels but we could could have also gone leaner with more air. Same amounts of fuel and higher far higher compression ratios. We have the technology to do it and we have not done it. Researchers have all shown if we cram a crap ton of air into the cylinder and very little fuel the engine can be ridiculously efficient and still produce big power. Lots of people have also proven the concept… tough to do though because it does produce more NOx but so what? If it makes less particulate matter which is what causes respiratory issues.

Let’s look briefly at gasoline engines. Port injection limited us on how lean we could run a gasoline engine. All of that changed with direct injection. We can now stratify the injection and have the air fuel ratio of around 22:1 in the cylinder and a rich pocket right next to the spark plug. So the sotich 14.7 spot lights off the 22:1 area under extreme compression ratios for gasoline (12:1 or 13:1) both ford and Honda have made a proof of concept and Honda has even began selling some vehicles with the tech I believe. It’s extremely efficient and it burns cooler because eof the nature of stratified direct injection vs port injection. Bottom line is we can make the engines better too! We can make better fuels etc.

So I’d say combustion is still good…

My fingers hurt… look forward to a good discussion :slight_smile:

Sources

Here are my sources on electric
http://energy.mit.edu/publication/on-the-road-in-2020-a-life-cycle-analysis-of-new-automobile-technologies/
http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jsd/article/view/64183
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car
http://www.thegwpf.com/new-study-large-co2-emissions-from-batteries-of-electric-cars/
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00532.x
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html#wheel

Holy shit dude check out this dudes F150 mileage (2016) … no major break downs. 5.0 V8 with 8 speed 6r80 to which the new 10 speed for both ford and and gm is based off of…

image_a500c1e212ca6c5788c1f6a6b57229169dc00780
Literally how… just dayum…

I mean, it’s ok I guess, but…

Chevy has been doing dang near those numbers since 01.

Yeah the earlier 5.4 3 valves from ford sucked butt. They had it rough in 2002-2007 seeing that it was the decline of the premier Auto group as well… so understandable… though it’s finally nice to see an engine that can compete with the LS :wink: Chevy needed some good competition

Excluding the hell cat that absolutely murders them both… drinks their oil… and burns their rubber :joy:

The hellcat’s engine days are numbered though. It’s an old fashioned… lovely sounding v8 but it’s still old tech … there gonna have to figure out how to start shutting cylinders off like Chevy on a pushrod engine or their gonna just be faced to downsize like ford did and do start stop etc

1 Like

Never knew that it can be this hard to find a car that meet all my wishes… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel like that was a jab in my direction too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: … I still am divided between an f150 diesel or a classic V8 :grin:

Where are your car issues centering?

Well my Seat is slowing getting to its end.
So i need a replacement for it.
There is too much work on it for it to be worth doing.

There is likely about 1500 euro of maintenance work in it.
And that just isn’t worth it anymore.

1 Like

Is that 1500 a diy cost or labor plus parts cost?

Na it’s just an estimation from me.

• All 4 brakes need to be done. (discs and blockes).
  • Distribution + water pump need to be done in like 10K. km’s.
  • There is an oil leek that needs to be addressed.
  • wishbone rubbers need to be replaced.
  • Driver door lock defect.
  • Airco needs a refill.
  • Two new front tires.
  • Clutch is also starting to show its age.

Ahh brakes aren’t bad… water pumps a pita lol at least when the engine is in the body haha…

That sucks I was gonna say might be doable but that sounds like she’s pretty tired… I guess baby the clutch and ecodrive the thing haha…

So what cars can’t you decide between? Maybe find yourself an older BMW or Merc i6 based car… not the best mpg but they are pretty hard to break… plus the engine is sooo smooth…

Yeah will i have time, i still got an mot till next year may.

my preferences are either a cool 5 door Hatchback or a Station.
I currently have a saloon which is totally unpractical.
Engine wise i do want something more powerfull then my current 1.6 8V 102HP.

From the VAG group i do like the Audi A4 B6 Avant model, which are reasonable priced.
However the downside of those cars is that most of the engines are crap.
They all burn more oil then fuell, especially the 131HP / 150HP 2.0 20V engines.
Or those evil Fsi’s.
The only reasonable engine is the 1.8Turbo, which is hard to find.

An Alfa Romeo 159 SW is also really nice.
But downside is that it’s not really a true Alfa.
It has GM petrol engines which are generally crap as well.
And it also weights almost as much as a mercedes e-class.

BMW 3 series touring E46 might be an option.
However rust can be an issue.
But the engines are also not that great, especially the 4 cilinders 16V’s.
Those also have valve seals issues pretty much most of them.

Mercedes C-class could be an option.
But hard to find one without rust under the 4K.

Volvo V70, sure allot to choose from even 200HP plus versions.
But yeah a bit expensive to drive i guess.
And not really cool for a girl haha :smiley:

On the Japan cars not really much interesting when it comes to sw’s.

5 door Hatchbacks for a reasonable price.

I was looking at a Fiat Bravo 1.4 Tjet.
But those are hard to find.
Most of them are the 1.4 95HP non turbo.
Which is likely not enough for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still love the Alfa Romeo Mito 155HP 1.4 Tjet.
However it’s only a 3 door, so not an option.

Other Hatchbacks not really looked at yet. :slight_smile:
I need some space to put my horse riding stuff in the boot.

1 Like

I might also consider an SUV like car.
But again harder to find a decent one of a reasonable price.

There’s also the S60, C70, C30 and if you want a slightly smaller wagon the V50.
C70, and C30 are both missing doors though.

1 Like

I mean both are V8. Guess it comes down to HP or Torque.
Doing any hauling in the future?
Also hear diesel is nitourious for being expensive to replace the fuel system if it goes out.

1 Like

UPS says the brake pads made it to my town Friday morning. UPS also says the same package also made it to my town again yesterday morning too, even though it never left.

So brake pads might make it this week?

1 Like