L1's Garage

Im a fan of the early alien theory. It sucks though if you really think about it

That they must have cause no way were we smaht enough?

Yes, Stargate is about the best television series there ever was.

2 Likes

People put overlandy stuff on their rigs felt, but me?

1 Like

Im sad to say I never got into it as hard core as others

They need to solve the battery weight/efficiency (either lighter batteries or being more energy efficient per weight) before they tackle battery trains. The next issue to solve is degredation.

On a side note, this discussion got me going back to battery videos

I don’t like the idea of battery trains. Unecessary.

Europe already has amazing train infrastructure. They can agree to an EU standardized catenary and voltage system.

Battery trains seem like a solution in search of a problem. You’re laying rails, just run power lines :rofl:

Literally I never precluded that you would ever have battery trains. It’s not necessary

I’m getting real tired of the Tesla supercharger Network not being opened up to the masses in terms of CCS

It doesn’t need to be this way. It’s fucking stupid standardized everything and you know what this is one instance where I say the government should be able to force it. I’m appreciative of everything Elon musk has done, but this whole walled garden to his supercharger bullshit is really getting annoying

1 Like

Considering Biden’s hate for Tesla, you’d have thought there would be legislation mandating open chargers and a standard by now.

There’s a supercharger at the corner of my neighborhood, never seen it more than 20% full, but I see plenty of non-tesla EVs driving around these days.

I think he’s avoided it because he has a very strong Democratic base that believes in electric vehicles. But the truth of the matter is this is where government actually does have a good amount of power, standardization.

No president in the last decade has had the balls to really expand standardization while I understand it can go wrong and that it can actually stiffle competition and innovation. It’s an electric fucking vehicle for cry fucking sake. At least let the charger be as standardized as a motherfucking gasoline vehicle and its receptacle for fuck’s sake

/Rant

I swear it’s USB C but with vehicles

Well, sort of. The problem now is more that most of the power outlets in public places won’t allow you to plug in a NEMA-15 USB C adapter, but you can plug in a NEMA-15 lightning adapter…

It is a stupid problem, and I’m sure there’s some implementation issues with the tesla superchargers that would mean they need a rework of some sort to get it done, but at the end of the day, I’m not buying a fucking EV until we get this standardization sorted out.

And GM building their own charging network is not going to help. They’ll just light other make’s cars on fire too.

1 Like

There is a reason why for big power systems we have standardization we force this on our power grid for a good goddamn reason and yet they can’t seem to get the head out of their ass. That maybe if we’re transmitting fucking 365 kilowatts to a charger that it should also be standardized as it’s charging a massive fucking battery pack

Just basic logic here. I’m not an expert but seriously it’s a lot of power. It’s no small amount. Going into an unstable chemical storage mechanism … lol Why don’t we have standards yet or at least why haven’t we forced them?

And I’m not going to even play party politics but both of them are the enemy of standardization rn

I mean they’re also needs to be a standardization of how BMSs talked to the power delivery system as well

The safety argument that you’re talking about is a red herring and straw man, I think. It distracts from the goal. Tesla could just have their systems audited by a 3rd party (which, I presume they’ve already done) and tell people to shut up.

What this is really about is going directly counter to Tesla’s primary objective of driving the EV revolution.

Yes, they sell every car (and then some) that they manufacture, but Tesla should know by now that a single automaker isn’t going to achieve the goals. If Tesla really wants to migrate everyone over to EV, which is not going to happen, they should be opening their network.

But the reality is that Tesla is just like Apple, in that they’re selling a lifestyle. It’s not a “social good” that they’re doing, they’re just cashing in on the climate zealots. Both the ones in political offices and the ones super-gluing themselves to freeways.

1 Like

Man you can’t say funny shit like this. You end up distracting me for a good 5 minutes.

:joy::ok_hand:

You know if that’s really their end game they are going to make a killing. Apple was unbelievably and overwhelmingly successful, so even if it’s not a social good they could end up selling a fuck ton of vehicles over the next two decades

I personally don’t like the idea of just not having an open standard system because it takes up a lot of extra space. Why should you have a ton of EV chargers that aren’t necessarily compatible with each other? Now you have to go find a Tesla charger that takes up space. You have to find an electrify America charger that might take up space. You have to find a GM charger That’s probably going to take up its own separate space. It’s inefficient as fuck. It also virtually limits the amount of charger capacity. You really do have nationally because now you have to divide it into everybody’s special sauce. The reason gasoline worked was because we removed the special sauce. Filling up the vehicle was as easy as putting in one standardized nozzle with a fairly standardized fuel (the gov forced this)

It was easy to fuel. It was convenient and thus it defeated steam and external combustion engines that simply didn’t have the same level of convenience and also couldn’t be scaled down

I’m not arguing it’s a bad thing. Just that people shouldn’t be fooled.

Let’s put it this way: I’m all for both making money and doing things that are beneficial for humanity/the environment. They’re not typically mutually exclusive. That said, people make them out to be, on both sides of the issue.

1 Like

I don’t really think you can stop people from being fooled. The reason being is they actually want to be. Hear me out on this. Normal everyday people practice minimization they would rather XYZ, talking, Head or expert Tell them what’s necessary than to do their own research. They wish to optimize the minimum effort for maximum return and if that means turning a blind eye to things that may or may not be true, they’re going to do it. You see this everyday. So I don’t know if you can really stop people from being fooled… Even if they shouldn’t be

I admire the goal though

@SgtAwesomesauce

So uhmm :rofl::joy: about what we were talking about

Yeahhhhh

I retract my outrage

1 Like

This has been in the news every two weeks since July 2021.

I will believe it when I can actually plug my electric dodge charger into a tesla EVSE.

Nothing personal, Elon. I just don’t believe a word they say.

2 Likes