L1's Garage

XC40 T5 AWD is a nice option then.
2.0L 4 cylinder turbo with 260HP.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2021/04/what-is-efuel-how-porsche-s-synthetic-fuel-could-save-the-combustion-engine.html

:thinking:

2 Likes

Dude is still at it being a mad scientist

3 Likes

Ended up with the XC40

5 Likes

Please see Rule #1, no NSFW Content allowed

2 Likes
1 Like

This is my main reason for sticking with Chevy for now. At least we can flash custom tunes on our control modules, for now. And the control modules up until recently were only as powerful as they needed to be, for simplicity, reliability and minimal power draw. Buying an EV in 2021 is like purchasing a giant computer running a proprietary smart OS with a built-in AI that probably connects to local cell towers and phones home to Tesla, then the NSA demands Tesla give their data under that one law that makes it illegal for Tesla to announce the data breach (I’m aware that ICE’s are also sold with 4G/5G connectivity but you can opt out of that.)

1 Like

Good choice congratz.

Which version of the XC40? T4?

1 Like

xc40 t5 r design, both winter and advanced package.

My volvo decided to trow yet another motor management service needed message at me.
So now i have two potential errors…
I think i should get vida so that i could read out error codes myself.
The MM message might be ETM related which is a known weak,
point for these generations of volvo’s.
But it could also be emission or clutch pedal sensor.
i already kinda rulled out the clutch pedal sensor becausr,
my cruise control does work fine.
So it’s not very likely.
A new ETM (Throttle body) isn’t going to be cheap unfortunately.

So any tips from Volvo guys are appreciated haha. @TeckMonster

Cool that’s the top of the line version. 2.0 Turbo. :slight_smile:
The color is really nice.

1 Like

Thx yeah I tend to always get blue cars

It’s hard to say without codes or symptoms. I’d start by buying a $10 bluetooth ODB scanner, though Vida is very nice.

I can say this is very unlikely (at least for US models). I belive only the 99 and 2000 Volvos are knowen for that, but even despite my 2000 engine having symptoms 3 times it’s always been something completely unrelated.

After 2000 they switched the contacting location sensor in the ETM with a contactless one. Went from metal sliding on metal to magnets.

1 Like

Next week i’m going to a garage to see if there are any error codes.
And then let them reset.
I suppose it will come back after the reset.
But at least if there are error codes detected that i kinda get an idea what could be the cullprit.

Today i tried to reset it by taking out the cars battery.
This results that the engine emission regulation system light is now off.
However the motor management service required exclamation light en display message aren’t.
So it could also be that the ecu maybe stored too many previous error codes in regards to the emission regulation system.
Or that it is something totally unrelated.

I did always had a weird issue when i drove on the highway for many miles,
and then the first time i had to stop for traffic light that the clutch pedal was operating more heavy then normal.
This is kinda weird, but after just one single clutch operation it’s back to normal again.
I do know from the cars service history that the clutch pedal sensor has been replaced before.
So it’s likely that there has been an issue with it.
Accoding to several volvo forums it could be that the clutch pedal cylinder is leaking onto the sensor.
And that way it will cause the same message appear on the display at some point.
But according to the forums it should also lead to a non functioning cruise control.
I already tested the cruise control and that seem to function normally.
So i kinda ruled out the clutch pedal sensor.

So i’m not back to several possible scenario’s, either the motor management just needs a service like it says, eg reset.
Or that there trully is a problem somewhere, but without exact error codes i don’t really know anything.
So i guess the best thing to do is just visiting a garage for diagnostics.

It could actually be the catalytic converter.
However i don’t think that it would show display errors, at least it never did before.
And it actually just passed the legal emission test for mot like two weeks ago.
But that engine emission error light does come back every time after a few hundred miles.
So i suppose there likely is something wrong with the rear oxygen sensor. (lambda sensor).
However that never triggered the engine management service exclamation light before.

The only weird thing is that the lights showed directly after re-filled with Euro 98 petrol.
Basically Euro98 RON98 is about the best most expensive fuell you should be able to get for the car.
But i’m uncertain if this could be related, contaminated fuell or what not.
Normally i fill up in Germany in which i fill up with Euro95 E5.
But since Germany closed the borders pretty much i can’t fill up there now.
Before the last fill up with Euro98, i filled with Euro95 E10,
and the weird thing is that with the 95 E10 Fuell at least the emission regulation light magically went off.
So i think like hey maybe it is a fuell related problem in regards to the German Euro95 E5 fuell,
so lets try a premium Euro 98 fuell instead.
But now i got two error lights haha… :woman_shrugging:

I just don’t hope because not many people are actually filling up with Euro 98 up here since it’s trully expensive.
That i might have filled up with old or maybe contaminated fuell.
But it could also be totally unrelated and just a coincidence.
The strangest thing is that the car just drives normally.

Volvo’s and error lights but running fine just drives me nuts!. :woman_facepalming:

They’ve got a wack ton of sensors, that’s for sure, but these cars are supposed to be able to pinpoint their problems with the Vida scan tool.

I really do recommend getting a cheap bluetooth ODB scanner though. They’re useful for any ODB2 car, and it’s way cheaper than paying a mechanic to scan it.

I know here, most auto parts stores will scan it for free. Maybe something to look into.

2 Likes

Yeah luckily enough the garage is probably going to read out and reset for free.
But i do wanne know what the codes are.
It could be a combination of many codes, but it could also be just one obvious thing.
Because yeah the engine exaust gas regulation error light does come back,
after a few hundred miles.
So i kinda have some suspicion that it might be the rear oxygen sensor at the back of the CAT.
Because that is the sensor that measures emission and diagnoses if the CAT is still doing it’s job.
I kinda have the suspicion that the additional exclamation error light in regards to motor management needs a service might be kinda related to this.

2 Likes

@big_al_tech I found you a banner picture of your car. No need to thank me :wink:

Might want to edit the text out tho

Sauce: https://www.rkmotors.com/

4 Likes

Dude this is sick, thank you.

1 Like

For anyone wondering; you can run the GM MDI 2 software in a wine instance with no issues. The MDI 2 flashing tool actually runs on a Linux OS.

I got an official one for ~$750 off of gmtoolsandequipment (you need to know the item # because the listing is hidden to consumers) those cheap Chinese ones on amazon that go for $100 were riddled with malware and didn’t work properly. The investment was worth it because I now can replace and flash any module for the rest of my vehicle’s lifetime with just a $25 GM software license

Oh and when you run GM’s java flashing tool with the MDI 2, be sure to run Internet Explorer as admin (I know it’s cringe) but its the only way to get the latest java tool to detect the MDI 2. Crappy software developers

Hope this info helps someone

2 Likes