L1's Garage

Bruh

1 Like

LOL. Yeah I guess its very relative.

At a younger age I would have died many times over on a 600. At the MSF course I would have probably ran off course at least once during a throttle derp that on their little tiny bikes didn’t even cause a scene noticeable by the instructors/easy to correct after the derp.

From my personal experience I only needed two days on the little 125cc or 300s or whatever those MSF bikes were to get gear, clutch, throttle muscle memory dialed in. So I agree someone should NOT learn on a 600 if its their very first time riding, ever. But I’m so glad I didn’t buy a smaller bike just to get crazy board of it a few weeks later.

Insert my age, life experience, etc here. Results may very. There are people that learn on liter bikes without issue, there are people that after years of riding a 300 should still not have a 600 or liter. Lots of variables I guess.

Slightly still on topic, I finally took a ride through the Malibu hills with a group. I know my lack of skill so I stayed at the back and behind someone with a very newb friendly pace. I’m hooked. I’m looking at more gear (ramps for truck, pants that zip to my jacket, boots etc) to do instructed track days. I need to work on form, technique and muscle memory really bad. But it felt soooooo damn good finally riding the CBR in it’s natural habitat. The few times I panicked a little bit thankfully I’ve drilled into my mind via vids, friends etc to resist the instinct to brake and straiten out, but to double down and lean my body forward and in, and counter steer some more. As if the CBR was begging for it, once I did that it felt way within it’s limits.

I wasn’t even at high RPMs either- plenty of steam left in the bike and looking at the tire wear afterwards, had some more lean left in it too. I want to hit the track and dial myself in and actually not go faster on the road but keep it around 60% or less to be extra safe.

This was at the meet (I guess he was the host of the meet), I guess his build is on youtube.

Some of the group

Didn’t show up with a full tank, silly me, had to break off and fuel up. Nice little off-brand gas station that Google didn’t suggest. All the brand name places were 30 miles away, I had to force Google’s hand to show me nearest places. Tisk tisk google.

2 Likes

I might die any day I ride I have no regard for the speed limits, 600s are formidable hardly safe.

I love riding mine through the valley around here. I’ve hit the limits for road riding, Ohio roads are a hazard in themselves especially at speed. I want to track it next season I feel like I have the technique down though so it’s more to see how far I can push it

2 Likes
1 Like

I need a new battery for my van, a couple batteries actually, but for now I need one that will let me actally start the thing after listening to music in it for like 10 minutes. Any suggestions?

I’m thinking a semi battery

So I picked up an FJ over the summer, mainly to replace my wife’s Forester for a mid-size SUV with 4x4, and because they hold their value so well. However, I’m realizing its usefulness in getting me to places I want to go hunting and fishing lately. I’m thinking I’d like it to be a bit better in the snow - the current tires are a little slick. I’d also like to add a few inches (3-6) of clearance, and maybe attach a winch to the front.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to start? I’ve only ever owned sedans so this is new territory for me. Can I just get bigger wheels to get the lift I want, and if so, how do I figure out what will fit?

Obligatory pic:

2 Likes

Depends on the car. I’d find an FJ forum or the subreddit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/FJCruiser/

A full size, plastic bodied, Lotus powered sedan built in Brazil, what a nugget!

Perhaps a couple batteries and a solar panel would work fine for you. Do you have subs? If not just one new battery should work if you’re only listening for 30min to an hour.

I’m actually a pretty big fan of FJs, but I personally haven’t really modified any vehicles for off road either. I second SgtAwesomesauce.

Hope you enjoy it!

It looks a bit like a Volvo S40 II or Volvo S60. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know the specifics of FJs, but I know on many other vehicles the higher you go the more involved it can be.

A smaller lift can often be accomplished by spacers or otherwise cheap and easy parts. Larger lifts could involve basically an entire suspension replacement and modifications to the driveline.

Also remember that lifts raise the center of gravity of the vehicle, meaning you will need to reduce your speed in corners. Larger, heavier tires will also increase your fuel consumption. And any warranties on the vehicle may be voided.

1 Like

That’s because Emme stole the Volvo ECC design, they only changed the front end.

2 Likes

Ah that explains allot haha.
I actually drive a S60. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like Volvos, almost bought a V70 myself, but ended up with a Renault due to the higher parts availability

2 Likes

Ah, I love Volvo’s as well. I currently own a V70 T5 with a 5 speed manual.

2 Likes

I wished i got a V70 instead as well.
The S60 is a pretty stylish sedan that drives really well.
But the Station wagons like the V70’s are just way more practical.

I still love Alfa Romeo’s and Mercs, but those are a bit too expensive still,
at least if you want a good one.

2 Likes

Unfortunately no T5 for me, just a 2.4 NA.
But even the 2.4 NA is also good enough as a daily driver. :slight_smile:

2 Likes