L1's Garage

Your telling me I can have the legendary Volvo turbo 5 cylinder, and on top of that it’s diesel!

Time to import that engine drivetrain. I assume they came with manuals as well.

2 Likes

Yep, since manuals were (and I think still are) the norm in Europe. At least they’re far more common still than they are in the US. Ours was a manual. You just need to worry about the oodles of electrical faults we hit along the way.

1 Like

The norm is shifting towards automatic rapidly in Europe as well.
All the EV’s and Hybrids are pretty much automatics.
But also most new cars are pretty much standard dual clutch automatics or cvt’s
But in allot of cases manual is still optional with petrol or diesel cars,
most newer luxury cars are automatic only.

The Volvo D5, which is a true Volvo 5 cylinder diesel engine,
are indeed available in both manual and geartronic automatic.
All the diesels in the S60’s were Volvo D5 engines.
But when it comes to the V70, the first generation V70’s / 850’s,
had a 2.5 TDi 5 cylinder engine from VW / Audi.

1 Like

Lots of great information there. Thanks MisteryAngel!

I looked into importing an engine, but there aren’t any good options on eBay, but I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for them. I also need to look into how much power they can take. It’s aluminum, so I’m betting it’s a bit fragile.

D5 with DPF euro spec is 185HP / 400Nm.
D5 without DPF 163HP 340Nm
And there are also a couple of 2.4D variants.

1 Like

Well kind of older news but i bought myself a Toyota Starlet P8

3 Likes

There will always be ICE cars without any driver aid at least in my country, India.

We have almost zero EV infrastructure, and extremely bad driving (bad drivers+ nobody follows traffic rules). The general population is so poor that investing in EV infrastructure isn’t worth it, and only are automatics (extremely bad ones) streaming down to lower end cars now.

Recently bought a car for too much at an auction, with an unknown history most likely an estate sale.

It was a Sea Green 1974 Volvo 164(E) Auto, it was basically sight unseen with a few pictures and mentions of rust and paint chips. Honestly it could have gone a lot worse, anyway I’m about to get a dodgy roadworthy and put some ks on the old girl.

Some mysteries still surround the car like the Group A spoiler, antler handled umbrella, russian cassette tapes, the 164E badge and carbies, the 2 piece(?) pilot wheels, and almost an entire boot of spares. But I think its just good to have a car with aircon in it even if it needs to be regassed.

1 2 6 9

This is only my second car and I hope that I can daily this for a bit, the only downside is the carbies and the BW-35 3sp auto, but in Australia I cant do any major modifications to my cars for another year or so until I am on my opens license.

4 Likes

Blew the ever-living fuck out of one of my bridgestone WS80’s in Boston the other day. Underground exit ramp uturn thing. I never saw that damn thing. No shoulder to kept going, so destroyed the walls until I found a parallel spot to pull in and fight a donut on. 50$ the next day to throw on a used continental to get me the 500 miles home. Now I gotta bother tire rack and see if they will send me replacements. I dont have the other tire b.c I thought “Those walls are fucked” and I didn’t really have the space for it with all my shit. Even the guy who spoke 2% English to plop the used one on for me “O, we no fix this. Have one used.” They cleaned things good and proper for the mount though, props to them.

tl:dr Boston roads suck balls. Using a half tire iron with only one good leg is rather difficult.

Oof.

Those Blizzaks aren’t cheap.

1 Like

Not a bad investment i guess.
Because they will just get more worth over time.
It’s worth restoring.

Posted this in the new acquisition thread, but since this is the garage I figured I’d post it here too with some deets.

These be my new wheels. Project Emilia is under way.

Unfortunately not completely stock (which I know is rare), but from what the shop guy told me it hasn’t had any cardinal sins done to it. Not even any code clearings. Has an aftermarket radiator and exhaust and that for the moment appears to be it. I will probably put the quieter muffler from last time on since right now it sounds like more flavored water vapor comes out of the driver than the exhaust.

2 Likes

Hows the Rust?

@mutation666 Has a couple of holes in the rear right underside but they aren’t structural and don’t go to the cab. Those will probably be patched over first. The rocker panels are there but will need replacing soon. Oil pickup line is going as well. Other than that, typical Subaru body panel rust. It passed Massachusetts inspection last week so a couple of lights and a ball joint and it’ll be good to go in NH for now.

1 Like

I have an 1987 Mazda b2600 4x4. Body is in decent shape. Is there any collectability within North America to these made in Japan trucks?

2 Likes

Mainly around the windows and and deck lid, no holes, just bubbles under the paint. The windscreen has some too but that is covered with a layer of silicone. I’m going to keep it going for as long as I can and once the itch to engine swap goes away I will get the rust looked at.

Unfortunately not as far as I can tell unless it’s a Toyota, and or from the 70s.

But I really like it. Zoom, zoom. You doing anything with it?

Looks good! I’ve always liked white cars. Looks like the right headlight could use some love, but it sounds like you’ve got other things to worry about.

The headlights aren’t really an issue long-term since the car’s getting a blobeye swap. Never been too keen on the bugeyes but it was white, I got a good deal, and facelifts on 2nd gens are easy. i have almost everything I need to do it.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m forced to sell. Its in pretty nice shape, very little rust, and low km…134,000. I removed the 100’s of miles of vacuum lines attached to the last year of emissions style carb and replaced it with a 32/32 Weber. It runs real nice now. I have it listed for $C2,500.

1 Like