L1News: 2017-04-04 International Dracula Pyramid Scheme Conspiracy | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/cvxqPnAoSme9udjT1BPPcQ

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/l1news-2017-04-04-international-dracula-pyramid-scheme-conspiracy
4 Likes

Your youtube description has an error in it...

"MI, IL rebel over ISP privacy massacre"

MI is the state code for Michigan. Minnesota is MN.

was already fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ok carry on then... also "Georgia stae laws are copyrighted" (I refreshed this time)

EDIT: Okay... I see that's fixed now, too.

so amd promised am4 from now till 2020 but dd4r5 comes out in 2018. could be interesting.

If you @wendell and @pgpryan can fill this much time with this much news, you should start writing for a network comedy show. It will not leave a 9V taste at all.
keep on derailing :joy:

You are right about that in game advertising. Burnout Paradise (an arcade racing game) was on the PS3, PC and xBox360. Being a virtual city it had billboards and such, on the PS3 these were all fictional ads and based on in game jokes, on the PC it had half fictional game ads and half static placed ads for X58 and such motherboards (these were never updated). The xBox360 version however had dynamic billboards, every week or whatever period of time the ads all updated to what ever was wanted by whoever was in control, I can only assume Microsoft.
So yeah dynamic targeted advertising has been a thing in games and test for a while. The advancement will be individual user targeted advertising in games. Burnout was just dumb ads, probably based on the wider entirety of the xBox audiences interests, or what Microsoft want that to be, but not individual users.

This is more of a rant on my part but DDR5, you were saying that maybe the incentive is for whatever platform to get DDR5 first. I am definitely behind the times in this case being on DDR3 still with AM3+, but that would piss me off when I have just gotten DDR4 and then a new updated version comes up making all the hardware useless and effectively stopping upgrade paths again. It comes across as companies outdating hardware before it even got started, in this case AMD will just about have worked out DDR4 speeds and stability and DDR5 will be out. Great.
This seems to be part of a more annoying development in PC which is insisting on forcing users to upgrade their hardware fo nonsense features like 4k netflix on Skylake and optane only on Kabylake, neither necessary but both nice possibly. PC seems to getting very consolised where the only way to get new features in general is all new hardware ever generation. the one upside of PC being the ability to replace certain parts is rapidly going away.
I wonder if the end of Moore's Law will bring about more or less frequent hardware releases. The hardware will scarcely get better any more, but they will resort to locking out features and software compatibility. So the race becomes being the first to be able to run the newest DX, which would fuel the development and this obseletion of software as fast as possible. I could see it ending up at a new OS needing new hardware ever 6 months or so.

Roaming police body cams, with armed police, and warrant looks ups, all in real time. So basically Judge Dredd. They see you, look up the information, judge on the spot the level of reaction and execute. They all ready shoot people in the street, now it will just be skipping the whole he pulled a gun moment and just looking at the record on a HUD right there and then and shooting on sight immediately. Interesting future.

finalizing the standard sometime in 2018.

DDR4 RAM was finalized in 2012, but it didn't begin to go mainstream until 2015 when consumer processors from Intel and others added support for it.

Not sure if the pedestrian crossings in the US create that unique "Booop beep beep beep" sound when they activate, but I know they do here in Australia. Anyway I have a friend that can almost perfectly emulate that sound and has done so on more then a few occasions whilst standing next to a pedestrian crossing.

The amount of people that are just looking at their phone, hear the sound and then step out without looking is surprising (and yet still not surprising). He's always stopped them getting too far, but if he was just a tad more psychopathic he could easily get someone killed.

I'm waiting for the next Jason Statham Mechanic movie where he learns this trick and kills one of his targets that way.

I noticed at the hospital my mother was at recently had signs in the stairwell asking people to "please refrain from viewing tablets and phones whilst traversing the stairs" basically to cut down on accidents. Made me wonder how many Doctors had become patients themselves because they didn't heed this warning... :smiley:

1 Like

you guys missed a big chance.

The supervisors names have to be bob

Regarding Technological Unemployment:

This is probably a very good thing for social autonomy. Bare with me. It's a long-ish explanation.

The main problem that we are having concerning this level of technological advancement is our current social heuristic. In layman's terms, all we really know is what we were brought up with. We are concerned about loss of jobs because we don't generally have experience in social structures that don't include steady jobs as a major component. For instance, in the early 1800s most families were running and working family farms and feeding the masses that way. This meant that the majority had control of the food; and were essentially self-sustaining. This had an interesting impact on the personal liberties of the populous. People were generally more free in those times because of it... well except for Africans and West Indians. :disappointed:

The phrase "life finds a way" may seem like cheesy cliche'; but it has a lot of relevance. Humans have an evolutionary predisposition not only toward self-preservation but also toward being useful. There are a lot of arguments over what constitutes a "fit" system; but most would agree that it involves being coordinated with a critical mass of other existing systems. Normative function appears to be generally cooperative; as it is somewhat necessary for mitigation of extinction risk. It is in a system's interest to not destroy the environment that sustains it. It's basic Natural Selection.

There is also the fact that millions of years of hunting and gathering has left an imprint on human behavior. We are predisposed toward being a useful member of a small group of individuals. This is the precursor to families, extended families, circles of friends and communities. Humans are not only likely to default to these behaviors, we are in the throws of doing it now.

The predisposition toward the sustenance of small groups is evident now as an "emerging" trend. This of course doesn't appear as emergent to behavioral and social scientists. As a matter of fact, it's expected. Technological Unemployment isn't just deprecating the 5/40 job market; it's also providing tools for the relative self-sustenance that we have enjoyed in the past. Many of the technological advancements have transformed family homes in significant ways. For instance, the modeling of modern homes, form the usage of space, the planning of inner spaces, the integration of appliances and structural integrity all come from passed down naval technologies. Not only do costs get passed down to the "consumer", the technologies themselves make their way into your hot little hands as well. This is probably the engine of modern convenience. This includes the personal computer, 3D printers, various home robots, automated climate control etc.etc. etc..

There are already solutions toward the mew, modern, automated home in the works. Some are proprietary; but many are open source. There are automated gardens for growing food, open projects for affordable machinery, hacking communities of all flavors, along with the before mentioned tech. This is human nature.

The creation of solutions like UBI (universal basic income) are probably a product of Pavlovian conditioning from the past 100 or so years of working for centralized structures. It's a sort of adaptation of Feudalism; in that it's the upper c;asses control of the means of production. This is something that UBI isn't modeled to mitigate. It essentially asks the populous to trust that the upper class will care for the masses. This seems pretty naive to me on one hand; but on the other it just seems like a buffer for the institution of decentralized solutions. The latter seems to be much more likely; as the work is going in day to day.

Another of effect of increased social autonomy is bifurcation. Natural systems in general are disposed to large amounts of Entropy driven variation. It seems likely that several sub-cultures should be expected to emerge. It also seems likely that a "Luddite" or industrial type culture would not participate in the quest for high technology for various reasons. Every revolution has left behind a small portion of the population. There are still small numbers of hunter gatherers and agrarian cultures in existence today.

This is a pretty interesting time to be alive. I hate to say it because people generally hate change; but fundamental change is probably coming in a decade or two... maybe three. In our defense there is a lot of uncertainty involved in revolutions. Dystopian nightmares are probably a natural and perfectly understandable response to such notions as we've been bitten before. The concern however should be over complacency. In the long term, nature gives us a choice between transcendence and abrupt extinction. The former is clearly the more favorable choice.

The difference between now and the last half of the 20th century is that with the cold war technology boom, there was a great need of a human-centric approach. The 19th Century brought a technological revolution that had devalued humanity, which resulted in the simple economic reality that human life and human rights were worth less than technology. WWI, the Interbellum (the Great Depression, the Holodomor, the hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic, etc...), and the Nazi and Stalinist episodes, had revalued human life and human rights. In the 1970's, it became apparent that the dominant powers of the West, the great victors for humanity, were actually threatened in the position of ultimate controller of the world's natural resources it had gotten coming out of WWII, and rapid technological development was shifted down towards ever larger markets and was hyperscaled. This created a new situation like in the 19th Century, where the economics of human life and human rights are failing again in comparison to capital and technology. Whereas study and work to improve one's human skills to contribute to mankind was the biggest goal after WWII and during the cold war, now the value of that is totally cannibalized. That's when people like Elon Musk are considered scientists and geniuses for giving billionaires roundtrips to the moon instead of actually doing scientific research for the benefit of mankind instead of tourism for the rich. That's when people are considered liabilities and overhead. The same jobs that are being taken over by robots now, could have been taken over years ago, but they weren't because human labour was still valued higher. Now it isn't any more, and the robots and algorithms are actually substituting humans. It's not like it's any kind of improvement in terms of anything, it's just that human assets have devalued. What does it take to revalue human life and human rights? Well, Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator and Modern Times movies didn't achieve anything... guess the only thing that will come out of this - once again - is a wave of genocides and deep depression, followed by a major large scale war. Because only those kind of events have the impact necessary to shift the economic value in a world where we allow less than 10 people to have half of the world's financial assets. Unless humanity gets wise, there is nothing that can save it. Take a good look at your neighbours, you might have to eat them later on to survive, just because you vote for rich people with rich friends where you could have opened your eyes when there was still time...

Would be interesting to know if this also worked with DVB-T2, since DVB-T is (at least in Germany) being gradually shut off. The question is also if this also worked when the TV user doesn't even use DVB-T, if it is received and executed even when the user is using Satalite or cable signal.

Maybe I overread it in the article, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Good thing my TV isn't on the internet anyway :slight_smile:

Social scientists have been aware of this for a very long time, indeed.

More like "this is nature", not human nature in particular. Nature is in perpetual change, human nature included. There is no proprietary code in nature.

Well, UBI doesn't have to involve large communities. So, not necessarily much of a centralised structure if it's only among a few hundred people. UBI can scale on production, not just population. Historically, production and population were heavily correlated, but automation throws the correlation out of the window. There will be much less of a need to unite and conquer.

Also, there is somewhat of a historical precedent. Some medieval communes were small communities (independent from local nobility) with very similar systems, so that the sick and the elderly didn't have to work the fields. It fell under "christian charity", so it largely passed under the radar, but it was effectively a self-managed alternative economic system, effectively independent from merchant guilds and feudal authority.

Even in the hayday of feudalism, there were anarchic alternatives to centralism and class hierarchy.
(They weren't "anarchist" communities in the proper sense, as they still had their own internal roles and norms governing what everyone did, but they were distinct and functionally isolated from the larger social order of the feudalistic societies within which these enclaves existed.)

This sounds relevant

3 Likes

This is the entirety of what I said:

"There are already solutions toward the mew, modern, automated home in the works. Some are proprietary; but many are open source. There are automated gardens for growing food, open projects for affordable machinery, hacking communities of all flavors, along with the before mentioned tech. This is human nature".

It's really too specific to include all of nature. If it were about more general behaviors, I would agree; but in this case, not so much.

This is what I said:

The creation of solutions like UBI (universal basic income) are probably a product Pavlovian conditioning from the past 100 or so years of working for centralized structures. It's a sort of adaptation of Feudalism; in that it's the upper c;asses control of the means of production. This is something that UBI isn't modeled to mitigate. It essentially asks the populous to trust that the upper class will care for the masses. This seems pretty naive to me on one hand; but on the other it just seems like a buffer for the institution of decentralized solutions. The latter seems to be much more likely; as the work is going in day to day.

The "U" in UBI means Universal. It's intended to be a socialized solution. My point is that it's a minimalist "solution" to accommodate social heuristics, that will probably give way to behavioral heuristics.

Naturally Nature knows nothing of this. She doesn't even speak the language of the sapiens. Indeed she is consistent and constant, all the while changing and invariably permanent ever the more and even the less. :innocent:

We also have a natural predisposition toward negative utility and attention to distinguishing characteristics. Cory Doctorow often points this out by stating that we try to "get rid of what pisses us off". We are much more attuned to differences than similarities. That and an innate compulsion for deprecation makes us a sort of evolutionary engine ourselves.

Many of our behaviors are the result of economy between normative appeal and novelty. Beautiful function is easy to appreciate; but a little too boring for the human psyche. We like entropy; as long as it's not destructive to normalized components. We have that in common with natural selection itself. This isn't in any way a coincidence. It's programming. The "Delta f" is the difference between entropy and extinction; and that is equivalent to the sum of normalization and novelty. There is no reason not to model the social system on the axioms provided by it's overarching system.

We more than ever feel apart from nature; because our interactions with it are obscured by our own artifices. This is however a perception and not so much an observation. We are just as much a part of it. The cosmos is becoming aware of itself through us. Sadly, we are intrinsically poor at Epistemology.

(EDIT) @Level 1

I'm almost disappointed that you have yet to outro with a hearty "See you next Tuesday". If it's implied, I guess it's ok though. :slight_smile: