L1News: 2017-03-14 Party in the CIA | Level One Techs

That isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, boy, do I have a thread for you:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-your-tech-cringe/113501?source_topic_id=113983

Ryan said something about hundreds or thousand of new pages of regulations being added every day.

That's based on the size of the Federal Register, which is misleading.

On 17 November 2016, libertarian think tank Competitive Enterprise Institute published an article that reported that President Barack Obama had added 572 pages to the Federal Register.

This was interpreted by numerous dubious publications to mean that Obama had, in just one day, added hundreds of pages of new regulations to the books:

The Federal Register is a daily publication in which federal agencies list documents that include: Notices; Proposed Rules; Rules; and Presidential Documents. Not all of the documents are associated with new regulations. Documents published under “Notices,” for example, are generally items like public meeting announcements or requests for public comment on a matter. While “Presidential Documents” may include executive orders, they may also be holiday proclamations. Thus, the interpretation that more pages in the Federal Register means more new regulations is misleading.

The Congressional Research Service explained in a 4 October 2016 report that while Federal Register page counts are sometimes employed “as measures of total federal regulatory burden,” the method isn’t a reliable one:

In 2015, approximately 30% of the total pages in the Federal Register were in the “Rules and Regulations” section, the section in which final rules are published.

2 Likes

The problem with the laser weapons is that they will only work properly in clear weather.

Love that thumbnail lol

1 Like

I see the surface book and pro have been removed leaving a luscious expanse of minimalist desk space. Noice ☺

The good news about the dark web shrinking, is now there is more dark web for me.

The CIA isn't supposed to operate in the US unless it is assisting another agency and nobody likes working with them.

I guess they thought of that ;)

On a side note, I just watched the episode and I'm confused noone mentioned this yet... About that laser "news", has anyone looked at the date? It reads

Published June 19, 2009

@wendell (or whoever), where the hell did you dig THAT up O.o?

And also, does that count as a correction? :X

Here is the petition for AMD to release the source code on thier PSP.

Hey guys,
I have a question at 26:54 Ryan talks about having competition no matter what for the internet service, but then Wendell follows with the statement "it doesn't make sense to have 3 water companies in an area because water is water, data is data." Is it not better to have multiple companies offering the same service? From my point of view that brings competition which is supposed to be good. Where did I lose it?

Ryan was talking about the current situation, because providers are no longer being held to content neutrality on their infrastructure. Wendell was talking about how the law was, and "should be" where the ISPs, should they get monopoly rights, have no say over content and can't shape traffic or block things.

its a bit like fedex, ups and local postal services. They all use the road, but they each offer delivery services. The content should be separated from the internet services. At a local level, it doesnt make a lot of sense for redundant internet connections to homes. Business maybe? but homes?

Once you're out of a region, you need to be connected to the internet at large. Upstream providers. Then competition can make more sense.

At a very local level, its a bit like more than one road to everyone's houses. Redundant interstates and highways, sure, but most people only need one drive way.

And those roads are what make things like competing delivery services possible.

1 Like

It took me a while but I think I understand it now.

Thank you

Thank you

1 Like

In Australia the last mile is mostly Telstra and Optus but government legislation allows other companies to lease / use the last mile copper / Cable to provide a service in competition to the big two networks.

We do have shitty slow internet but there is competition.

Good show gentlemen. Funny and informative as usual.