L1News: 2017-03-07 Nintendo Taste Trip | Level One Techs

One-tab link: https://www.one-tab.com/page/EagtmQ3VTlSswGig1-A8iA

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/l1news-2017-03-07-nintendo-taste-trip
4 Likes

@ 1:54

@ 10:45 : Google Captcha's are the worst. I dread visiting any site that uses them.

More like the Nintendo Bait and Switch.

2 Likes

Thanks for this video. I didn't expect it from you guys but look forward to watching it now. As for the console it is a mess and I just hope at the very least I can sell it for retail price in Canada plus tax as with the Wii U that didn't happen. Right now I have an auction still going on Ebay and outside of it I am getting strange offers of things that I couldn't even identify by product name or whatever. I did have one offer to buy it at retail plus tax so I hope that is my safety net. Finally I have to say Nintendo just doesn't get it. They tried to do something revolutionary in terms of how this is both a portable and home console but the thing is isn't a laptop that? :S

Excellent. Very much looking forward to the upcoming videos regarding Linux on RYZEN. @wendell have you given thought to a nicely worded on-line petition or publicly backed memorandum, that expresses the deep anticipation some of us hold in hopes of a rapid and thorough restructuring of the RYZEN IOMMU groupings? The platform is fantastic and this one component being re-evaluated and modified to allow hardware pass-through would absolutely seal the deal for myself and countless others. I think it would be a good idea to let AMD know the level of importance for the developer community and the Linux community in particular going forward. A petition additionally would give AMD a platform for a targeted response.

@DeViLzzz, it should fetch a fair price if its unlicked ;) .

One could wonder if Cloudpets now are going to sell extra, because the same people who have an urge to to lick the Nintendo cartridges also may have an urge to be ransomed for money. Kind of reminds me of the Cards against humanity selling poop:

I mean people really need to share everyone else's experience, even if its poop, because, let's not learn from other people's experience and do better ourselves, right? Sigh. Or I may be just jealous over having no cartridges to lick.

About DRM in HTML5.

The problem is, that if there's no DRM in the standard, then people will use 3rd party browser plugins to enable DRM.

The same thing happened with video. Before HTML5, there was no standard for video in a webpage.

So what did people do? They used Flash in order to have video. Look at how that turned out.

DRM as it is today is almost entirely geared to benefit larger companies, which is why I strongly oppose it - the lobbying dinosaurs are hindering new developments by letting the IP law run over the criminal law. If W3C levels the field, this will probably be a good thing for everyone, and certainly more beneficial to smaller producers, and I suppose leave the market to level out the prices according to demand on its own. I don't know if W3C will level the field with EME, but it seems more than likely, because then a private encryption key is sufficient for everyone (even small producers) to distribute and protect their content. I think W3C is on the right track with EME. If EME is exactly what it appears to be based on that article.

The EME proposal also seems to imply that I (a user) get to choose to reject DRM (public key?) from any company, which (if true) is exactly what I would like. Of course then I wouldn't be able to see specifically their DRM-ed encrypted content, and that would be perfectly fine. There is very little DRM-ed content I really need to consume, if any - the lobbying dinosaurs have only further enforced this realization.

They do not indeed. Did you see the article about the dead pixels? They did the same thing with the Nintendo DS

1 Like

About Ryzen's performance.

Reviews show consensus in that Ryzen is a powerhouse of a processor when it comes to multimedia and encoding workloads, mostly crushing Intel's competition - even in comparisons between chips with an identical number of cores.

Gaming, however, is another story.

So why is it better at multimedia, but worse in gaming?

On Intel, Core Parking is disabled by default, but on Ryzen, Core Parking is enabled by default:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-8/retour-smt-mode-high-performance.html

we looked at an Intel config in X99. In "Balanced" mode, the default value is 100: the Core Parking is indeed disabled!

In case of doubt, we realized a "fresh" installation of Windows 10 Anniversary Update on both platforms, and we confirm: on Ryzen, the Core Parking is set to 10%, and on a 6900K to 100%.

It seems likely Microsoft has deactivated the Core Parking on the latest generation of Intel processors and has not yet made this change for the brand new Ryzen.

Why is this important?

Because when encoding, all the cores are always running at 100% load, so Core Parking never happens.

In video games, however, that's not the case, and the OS tries to put all the work on as fewer cores as possible, in order to keep some cores parked.

So we can see the difference: when the SMT is active, the Windows scheduler will try to stack the threads on the available cores, which means to risk saturating the two logical threads of the same core.

Also, for some reason, P-states are changed slower in Balanced mode, than in High Performance mode.

lawl. This is only gonna drive more people to Cemu... xD Thanks nintendo.

On another note, the thing about the coating they put on the switch cartridges - supposedly, according to my dad, who for some reason was able to smell it the second I brought the cartridge into the room, the coating they use is cayenne pepper. Could be wrong - I don't know what actual cayenne pepper tastes like, but it's the same stuff his mom put on his thumbs as a child to stop him sucking them.

2 Likes

I always smell new stuff.

Hey guys I'm new to the community but I want to take a comment on the current L1 news show as the occasion to make a comment. You said you will do a ryzen and MB review with a little bit of a cs background. Please do MORE cs background! I love it because I did not have cs education so when ever you drop those nuggets of knowledge I learn so much more about computers!

It is a great show thank you for doing it!

2 Likes

Hm not sure about that...

I get the argument that the web should be free and open and whatnot. But in the same way I feel like content creators should be able to protect their creations. Especially independant music artists or people that produce videos for a living. They should be able to protect their property, but still able to present it.

I actually see DRM as a good thing in some regards. If this works out properly, smaller artists wouldn't have to go to labels or bigger websites to be able to protect their stuff, they can put it on their own website and be done with it.

And anyway, as mentioned here, companies already implemented DRM anyway, so it might as well be standardized in HTML5.

I'm against it as well. We should fork any open-source browsers or even HTML5 and create copies with no DRM in them. I hate the fact that W3C is being manipulated by the rich corps. If the board members tell Tim berners they will stop all their funding unless he fucks a pig, is he going to do it?

@Wendell
Combine drugs and this fad of over hyping things:

PPC - Public Perception Catastrophe

In use: "After the recent AMD controversy, those self entitled gamers are running mad in the street, high on the latest flavour of PPC!"

Absolutely.

I like the reference :) . And yes, probably.

I'll try to clarify with a very recent example of IP law running over the criminal law.

IP law has ran over criminal law in Sweden where the highest court instance decided that anti-piracy companies can obtain court order to block domain names. As in, it can not be appealed. All the previous court instances had based their decision on Swedish criminal law, as in, ISP is not participant in criminal activity by not blocking domain names. However, IP law says otherwise due to recently introduced changes. In effect it overrides criminal law according to the final decision of the court.

Another point of interest - once the DRM-promoters can save money by no longer being forced to invent their own DRM, what they will be spending the remaining money on.

Piracy is a different topic then DRM though...

DRM is to protect intellectual property when it is shown.

Piracy is when the content has been stolen already (obviously), and prosecuting that is a whole different story.

On a sidenote:

Even when I don't like a company, or a game or software is just too expensive for me, pirating it is still wrong. Either you pay for it or you don't use it. There's no in between, and prosecuting it is totally fine by me. Just because I don't like a company doesn't mean the people behind creating a game or software haven't been hard at work for it. I don't HAVE to buy a game at launch, I can still buy it once it's in an acceptable price range for me (unless you're on console, then you're pretty much f**ked). Even has the advantage that it's already patched up and you can usually run it at higher details :)

The same goes for dirt-cheap licences where it's kind of obvious they can't be legally obtained, but they are still sold on legal shops... but that's a whole different story.

1 Like

Of course. Thanks for clarifying that, as I may have muddied it up. And I might have misunderstood you.

Why I mentioned both in the same sentence is, they are both arms of the same body, same money flow. And both are impacting the law in ways that rubs me wrong. Like breaking DRM being illegal in some places - beyond invalidating your licenses to use DRM:ed product, it is also a crime (or at least an offense).

From a legal standpoint I agree with you completely - you break the law, you can and should expect to be processed. And I'd add that, if you don't agree with the law, use legal means to change it. There is also the option of civil courage - do it publicly, explain why you think you are right, and then let them make an example of you, and maybe someone will realize that something is wrong (this is where I think the IP law needs adjustment - the proportion of consequence, not consequence in and of itself).

One thing leading to the current state of things is, and where my mention came from, piracy isn't prosecuted or prevented by criminal law. You don't have police and courts working on it, you have private companies changing laws (becoming lawmakers by proxy), and hunting down people (becoming police force in effect). Those are the things that rub me very wrong, and yeah I realize we don't have plenty police and courts to deal with the individual cases, and fallout of each case where they sue a person is asking for unreasonable amount of money and then getting bad-will in return. Which is also why they primarily focus on piracy site-owners and ISP:s - people and organizations already outside good will. And this is wrong. They should pay for their own crimes, and not crimes of others.