L1 KVM on Ubuntu

Hi all,

I’m having a few issues with the L1 KVM with ubuntu 20.04 laptop using a thunderbolt 3 dock.

• switching inputs from another source to this source takes about a minute for the login screen to pop up. Sometimes I will have to toggle to a different source then back to ubuntu for it to work. Switching to a windows (desktop) or MacOS (laptop) switching takes a few seconds.

• using a wireless headset (Logitech G435) with the wireless USB receiver on the back USB3 port the mic is extremely muted and unusable. I have to move the dongle to the back of the dock for it to work properly. I have tried the other USB3 ports with the same results. I also tried a steelseries arctis pro wireless with the same issue.

The Dell precision 5570, 12th gen intel, A1000 GPU. Docking station is a plugable TB3, monitor Samsung G9 using both DP inputs into the KVM

Cables used for display?

club3d DP cables from dock to kvm.

You may have to go fibbr, sorry. The USB part doesn’t make any sense. The usb3 ports are basically just a switch box so it doesn’t really mess with those ports the way it does with hid.

G9 firmware 1008 or newer is also needed

1 Like

My g9 is on 1016 so thats good. I updated to 22.04 LTS and 5.19 kernel last night… maybe that will help.

I think my issue with Ubuntu is it doesnt like using both DP inputs on the G9. I’m using a different DP input from another monitor and its switching fine.

I want to test with the HDMI input on the G9 any recommendations for HDMI to DP cable @wendell to use with the KVM?

Important
If you’re going to take HDMI → DP you’re going to need a powered USB solution.

Club3D like you’re using is always a good choice.

HDMI → DP:

DP → HDMI:

I can get you a video of it working on the G9 here at L1 if you need :smiley:

Awesome I’ll try Club3D CAC-2330. That cable should handle 2560x1440 @ 60hz. :crossed_fingers:

Wait, is an hdmi signal or dp signal?

If you go from hdmi signal to dp input to display then you need a usb powered solution.

if you are going from the dp out of the kvm to hdmi in on the monitor you’d need amazon.

the thing > whatever is always signal source > signal sink.

Displays don’t source signal, they sink signal to display it.

I want to go from the HDMI port on my G9 >> DP port on the KVM.

The connection from TB3 dock > KVM will still be DP to DP cable.

That’s what I’m saying. You don’t go from a monitor to a computer the signal doesn’t flow that way. Hence my confusion.

I think you’ve picked the wrong kind of adapter based on your earlier post?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.