KVM Switchbox Issue

So this is my first post been watching some of the Level 1 tech vids on the Tube for awhile now and decided to join the forums.

So here is my dilema, I have an IOGear HDMI + USB KVM Switchbox connected to my Workstation and my Gaming rig.

It’s the model GCS62HU which is for just two computers to share a single monitor + KB + mouse

All was working fine until today when I replaced my GTX 1080 in my gaming rig to a GTX 1080 Ti model.

So to test further I connected the HDMI directly to my Samsung TV, and it booted fine.

I then reconnected the KVM switchbox and again no signal.

So then I connected it to the secondary HDMI input on my ASUS monitor, switched over to that input port and there was the Windows desktop.

So I will see if maybe the HDMI cable on this one port is bad or failing but wanted to see if this is common or just a case of bad luck and needing to replace the unit ?

Sent in a support case to IOGear too just to see.

Thanks for any advice :wink:

EDIT:
And there it is, the second port on the device is indeed faulty, I had to disconnect the HDMI cable multiple times and then it finally showed a proper display, so bad luck it appears and I need a new one now.

Here is another question that maybe somebody could answer as well, I’ve seen software based KVM apps, but I’m unsure how responsive they will be while trying to run games and such, any ideas on this one then ?

I recommend against this. They can be okayish, but not much better than that. If you don’t have any money, they’re better than nothing, but really, you’re going to be best off with a high quality hardware unit.

Frankly, the only good quality KVM for the more high-demand workloads (and I’ve tried like 20) is the Level1 model.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree
the problem with software based kvm switching is the simple fact that it is software based. and can be corrupted by software and hardware glitches.
and it can be difficult to detect just where its messed up.
hardware switching all boils down to mechanical failure of moving components and connection points.

@BigBodZod How you doing big guy? I havent heard from you since i was chased off the vogons forum!
Ive recovered and walking again retired and now part of the fire department here.
Glad to see you here!

1 Like

That’s one major reason.

I think the other component of it is that software control of hardware is unreliable in this method and is extremely slow.

It takes me 5 or so seconds to switch to a new system on the L1 KVM.

Ive had hardware based switches damaged by none too gentle handling from the shift mechanics left on the bench whose repair only consisted of lifting a contact up slightly with a small dental pick (improper alignment and forcing connections bent pins down too far)
only had one that was surged enough to burn it out
heres the one I use for the server and game machine.
https://www.cdw.com/product/Belkin-SOHO-KVM-Switch-VGA-USB-4-ports-Desktop-KVM/1453968?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=1453968&cm_pla=NA-NA-LNK_MA&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=W6gNzwAAARWsLL-T:20181025203922:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1aGt07ii3gIVU4ezCh0hnggWEAQYAyABEgKHF_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!198553132284!!!g!316984912742!

1 Like