KVM question: Virtio on nvme, vs passthrough SSD

Which would be faster for a KVM windows VM: Virtio drivers on an nvme, vs a passthrough SSD?

It was related to an M.2 SATA SSD but I made some benchmarks some time ago, maybe this helps you: Help needed: Passthrough a M.2 SATA SSD

My Western Digital NVMe drive gets a significant performance penalty for using virtio over PCI-Express passthrough on macOS. Not sure on windows.

I played around with various storage scenarios on ssd recently and ended up picking virtio sparse raw file containers on a zfs filesystem. Passthrough device did eek out a few % in performance but the manageability benefit of container files + snapshots over raw device made it the winner. I run virt-sparsify and zfs snapshot the containers in a nightly script and it seems to be the best of all worlds: fast, efficient space use + zfs compression, easy backups. If you’re on nvme, all the better, you probably won’t complain about virtio performance.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.