KVM + dock solution for home office (looking for advice)

Hi,

I’m looking for a solution for my home office to make changing between working on my desktop computer and work laptop more seamless and less of a chore. Currently I am just directly connecting my peripherals to my computers every time I want to change which machine I want to use. I would like to hear your opinions if you have had any experiences with similar setups to the one I’m about to describe or if you’re seeing any potential issues with my proposed solution that I am not aware of. Thanks in advance.

The potential solution I have currently come up with is the following. A KVM to which my desktop and peripherals are connected to. On the laptop side the KVM is connected to a dock and the dock itself is connected to the laptop.

The peripherals I’m currently using:

• 2 x 4K monitors at 60Hz
  • 1 x 4K monitor at 120Hz
  • 1 x USB keyboard
  • 1 x wireless mouse with USB adapter

The work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 2, which runs Windows. The desktop machine is primarily a Linux machine, although I have Windows available as well via dual boot.

For the KVM I’ve been eyeing the L1 triple monitor - 2 computer KVM and for the dock I’ve been looking at the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 4 WorkStation Dock(ThinkPad Thunderbolt 4 WorkStation Dock - Overview and Service Parts - Lenovo Support US). My work laptop is a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C device, so I assume I might have to connect one display directly to the laptop. Still, having to attach 2 cables to my laptop would be considerably more convenient than what I have to do currently to switch between computers.

So, if you’ve got any words of advice, sanity checks, or any other resources I could take a look at that I might not know about, then I’d be glad to read them.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.