Kubuntu 18.04 waking from sleep (AND Shutdown)

there may be another option to power on the system at a certain time, check power management settings and other screens.

it could also be “humidity control” which is meant to power up the system so the heat would prevent condensation in very humid environments (think coastal areas)

Setting up a VM now to see if I can look at the settings. 18.04, not 18.10, yeah @dannyshadd0w? I used to have a weird issue with Netrunner (sp?) when it would check for updates.

Considering the Shutdown issue, I have no idea. But the wake from sleep you can check Settings > Discover > Settings > Hamburger > Software Sources > Updates > Check for Updates > Change to weekly or every two days and see if that fixes it. Can’t imagine that waking up from shutdown, unless the shutdown feature is broken. Honestly, that happens to me in KDE all the time, Debian and Fedora (sadly, why I stopped using it). The screen would go black but when I wiggled my mouse I’d get a computer monitor with a sad/broken face saying the display manager has crashed. I have to shutdown -h now to get it to shutdown.

Anyway, worth a shot?

Options

@AnotherDev yes 18.04

I’ll give this a check tonight to see if there’s any power settings that I’ve missed. I’ve never heard of a humidity control before! I’ll see if there’s anything that I can see with this.

I think I turned off automatic updates? I found them to be a little annoying since I prefer to install/update through the Terminal anyway. I’ll have a check tonight though along with some of the power options that are currently set.

@AnotherDev It seems that my updates were still set to go daily but with the Only notify about available updates option selected. I’ve now uncheck the updates completely to see if that helps.
Screenshot_20181030_185716

@wendell I didn’t see many power options, and definitely nothing that mentioned Humidity.

Those power and humidity options are in uefi

So I double checked my bios to see if there were any settings that I may have missed. Some I don’t really understand, but I’m pretty sure there’s nothing there that would cause a boot through network?

Ooooh Gigabyte.

Those BIOS screens look right, no Resume by Alarm. That should be the only option in BIOS for it to boot at some hour. Wake on Lan should be under the network adapter. Do you get separate bios lines at boot for any of the network adapters? Then the settings could be there.

How do you mean?

Separate bios lines at boot

Do you mean in the bios itself? Or somewhere in the boot log?

Even though resume by alarm is disabled it really looks like that is the issue. Its acting just like it, powering on at the exact same time every morning.

Reset cmos and see if that matters, if not potentially check for bios updates.

You could also try to enable the option, save, and disable.

1 Like

I will give that a try, but it should be noted that this issue does not happen when shutting down my Windows OS. Never has. I’ve also never enabled that setting in the past so it would seem odd that it would be the issue. But I’ll try enabling/disabling it and resetting cmos to see if that helps.
And I’ll look around for bios updates.

I mean after the UEFI screen. A Network card can have its own BIOS/UEFI that does an init after the mainboard. Same thing with some raidcards/HBAs. Sometimes integrated NICs etc behave similarly, all depends on the boardmaker.

But if you haven’t seen them at boot, you probably dosen’t have them.

So, fun fact: I did a hard shutdown last night with the power button and this morning everything was off like it should be!

I did also enable/disable the resume by alarm setting in the BIOS, so it could potentially (hopefully) be that. But in my mind, if it’s not the resume alarm, then it would be OS related, and something, somehow, is setting some sort of wake command?

Haven’t had much of chance to run my Linux OS for a few days, but last time I let it boot up to the login screen, shutdown using the GUI without logging in, and the issue persisted: Booted at 4am. So unfortunately the wake by alarm toggle in the BIOS didn’t change anything.

I could technically hard shutdown my PC everytime and avoid the issue, but that’s not particularly healthy as far as I’m aware and I believe even requires me to go into the boot menu from the BIOS and won’t boot directly into Linux.

I had a thought that potentially this could be caused by an app/package that is installed. Here (169.9 KB) is a list generated with apt list --installed, would there be anything in here that could power up the computer from a shutdown and yet require an ethernet connection to do so?

Apologies to the mods for necro-ing an old thread, you may close it after this. Just thought I would mention that after installing Manjaro on my system I no longer have the auto-booting issue from shutdown or sleep and the system remains off until I tell it otherwise.

Not really sure why. Must be something to do with my hardware/home internet setup and the way Ubuntu was handling the Network Manager?

Either way, I can die happy :peace_symbol: