Kreestuh's Garden Progress 2021

Yes! Me and my husband watch him. We now say ‘iggs’ instead of eggs lol.

His climate is far warmer than ours, I think subtropical. But I like his ‘throw it at the wall and see what sticks’ methods.

1 Like

yeah I popped the joke to my parents. I said im moving to panama bye guys :grin: . I am not blessed with living in a long growing season. I live in zone 4B. RIP simply isnt enough to exemplify what thats like

yeah I was surprised about a couple of those. I like his raised gardens. My dream is to build a no kidding large more than shack scale green house because of the zone im in but man his videos make me want to move south. His dragon fruit are amazing

Do you have pasture raised iggs?

1 Like

We’ve been talking about getting chickens but we’re still on the fence on whether it’s worth it. My mom and dad had chickens when I growing up and they were a lot of work. Enough of our neighbors raise chickens + there’s a farmers market with local eggs readily available to us that we’re not sure it makes a lot of sense just yet. With the way prices are rising my husband has been mentioning it more though.

Regarding greenhouses, we may be in the market after tax season. Probably just a little pre-built one like this:

The crazier part of me is interested in a Wilipini:

But they are not really practical in terms of cost/labor haha. They are cool though, no energy requirements and they stay a consistent temperature year round.

4 Likes

2022 going to be a good year?

Automation might help things a bit more these days. Like opening and closing the chicken house at night. Automated watering thats just in time delivery w/closed storage pool. That limits how dirty it gets. I’ve thought about something interesting. A FLIR sensor that detects eggs after they are laid. Notifies you they are laid and about how many to expect. All could be delivered over LoRA to a panel in the house.

But yeah other than that its still keeping an animal so they can be a pain. there is no automated way to clean everything out lol

Man thats actually cool. Soviets could grow pineapples…

Hmm I love next to Giant mounds… There’s plenty of land. That’s kind of a cool idea. Like even for a community garden. we could grow tropical fruits up here. that would be awesome. Seems they require a lot of digging though

I could definitely use the manure to age for compost but yeah, still a lot of work lol. Might be nice to have one day though.

Seems they require a lot of digging though

Yeeeaaah. After digging into our compacted clay soil for the raised beds, I can’t imagine trying to get down 6-8 feet underground haha. It’s really cool though. I’ve seen some people do something similar where they mound dirt up along a green house, or even use barrels of water along a wall as ‘insulation’.

Do you have a Tate’s rents or something similar. You can rent a dozer out her for cheap because its not uncommon for one to need one out in this terrain. I bet a small Kubota could do it in a few hours

My wife loves this guy. I would love to meet him one day.

He’s amazingly down to earth. Haha

I have four chickens and we are guaranteed 2 eggs a day as two are know for laying (Americauna) )and the other two are designer (Crested Polish). They do not take to much work. Mine are truly free range as they have access to the entire back yard, and they are trained to stay in the front while I am working on the yard or in the garage. they take themselves to bed ever night and they lay eggs usually in the same spot. Caveat: You need a fence and some way to protect then from Predators.

in regard to green houses, I spent about 600 on mine. It is an aluminum frame + polycarbonite construction. A Palgram Canopia Hybrid 6x8

The chicken coop is attached to this and the ladies use it to keep away from the rain and high winds.

1 Like

Redwood garden bed I’ve been working on. I have to reinforce the bottom a little because it sags, but should be fine.

5 Likes

Saw the Potatoes. I use the same felt bags.

Been really digging purple Peruvian cultivars. They are tasty and normally impress. They just aren’t great for mashed potatoes.

5 Likes

I really like the design of this with the tall posts! Those will make it a lot easier to install things like shade cloth or bug protection.

2 Likes

Also built this today for the strawberries. Hopefully they come out.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is exactly what I had in mind with that. I have some shade cloth that I’ll throw over the top and maybe staple to the posts for the summer. Hopefully they won’t get destroyed by the sun or eaten by ants and other critters.

1 Like

Need to do an update for May/June, but saw this meme and felt seen.

6 Likes

This is my hoard. Rainwater is long gone. These are the ~1.5gal it takes to get hot water to the kitchen and the Spring surplus is now also gone.

Back to the hose water. I guess I need to do more dishes to create another surplus.

These are my plants. 3 chiles and 2 toms.
Theyre healthy. Tom #1 is a late bloomer. Its tall and full but did not flower straight through and it has some blossom drop on top of it.
#2 is shorter and blossomed from the begining w full hands of green toms all through it.

4 Likes

Devils Lettuce??

Tomato
Nightshade family.
Solanaceae: most are toxic to deadly w side of bad trip.

Working on a June garden tour, but I just had to share this because this is peak gardening…

I planted tons of wildflower pollinator seed mixes in a few areas of my garden, and got only a handful of scraggly sunflowers so far. Meanwhile, I was trimming back some plants along the edges of the yard and found this milkweed THRIVING in a blackberry patch. C’mon man, lol.

4 Likes