Kreestuh's Garden Progress 2021

KREESTUH’S GARDEN PROGRESS 2021

What Is This?

This thread exists to to chronicle my 2021 gardening efforts for the year. Expect regular pics and updates about how I’m either saving or murdering plants. Also a running tick counter for the squeamish among us!

Why Tho?

I am being the change I want to see in the world forum. I tend to be kind of private (probably to a weird degree…?) but after some encouragement I’ve decided to share more of my non-tech hobbies with the community. I find gardening requires a lot of the same things that I love about design: problem solving, clever use of materials/knowing the medium, and of course, aesthetics. Why not share it?

Technical Details

Climate

Growing Zone: 6B (What’s a growing zone?)
Climate: Moderate - 4 Distinct Seasons
Average January Temp: 25F (-3C)
Average July Temp: 87F (30C)

My Land

Acreage: 4.5 acres
Topography: Mostly flat, slightly hilly in a few places. A good portion of the land is old horse pasture; lots of tough grass and weeds. The back half of the land is an orchard + woodland.

The Tick Counter

Ticks Found On My Person This Year: 6
One of the bastards got me good enough to require a clinic visit + a round of antibiotics, reeee

(Last Updated May 28, 2021)

Table of Contents

TL:DR;

Mods are asleep, post plant pics.

20 Likes

APRIL 20, 2021

The Container Gardens

Since I don’t have raised beds in place yet, I’m mostly using the containers I used at my apartment for early-season plants right now.

Spinach

Radishes

First time growing these, they seem to be doing ok despite my chaotic seed sowing methods. They grew really quickly; I’ve had them in the ground maybe a month.

Iceberg Lettuce

This is my first time growing iceberg lettuce (my husband prefers it over Buttercrunch, which I grew last year). It is a drama queen and requires a lot of water to prevent wilting. Not sure if I’d do it again lol.

Potatoes

I’m a big fan of growbags after using them for my herbs garden last year. It makes it really difficult to overwater your plants-- the fabric allows the ground to dry out adequately. I was watching a youtube video about doing the same thing in larger pots with potatoes, so here we are:

Each of these bags is 15 pounds, and has three to four ‘starter’ potatoes in it. I’ve planted Norland Red, Russet, and Kennebec potatoes. Last year I did a red variety in a plastic tote and was surprised at how well that actually worked (3.5 pounds of potatoes), I’m hoping for even better results this year. Hell I might even add some more later.

Those That Returned From Death

Sage

I grew this sage from seed last year on our windowsill before moving it out to our apartment patio. Surprisingly, it also survived the ice storm back in February. I thought for sure it would be dead but it’s sprouted right back once the temps got warm enough. I may plant it in the ground eventually.

Mint

Thrives on neglect and carelessness. <3 Grown from a seedling at Lowes, it took over this entire box.

The In-Ground Plants

Lavender

The first plant I put in the ground at the new place, an English Lavender ( Lavandula angustifolia). This spot is pretty sunny (which lavender loves!) but the soil is a heavy clay (which lavender hates…). I amended with some gravel and organic matter so hopefully it will do ok there. This should also be a perennial for our zone, but time will tell.

Blueberries

One of these is technically a ‘Returned From Death’-er: I planted it in a container last year and even got a tiny harvest (enough for a topping on some banana bread, whoopee!). It also survived the Icepocalypse and has started sprouting again.

I have also planted two smaller varieties, called “Perpetua”. They should give me two harvests a year, once in the Spring and once in the Fall. I amended the soil for all three plants with a soil acidifier and pine needle mulch from the woods on the back part of the property. I have also been watering them with coffee grounds as an additional fertilization method/acidification method, but the internet is VERY divided about how effective that is, so I guess we’ll find out!

Side note: this soil meter is awful lol. Do not recommend.

The Experiments

Celery

I have never grown celery before, but I saw a meme video that said you could regrow it from scraps. I put an old celery bottom into a pot of water for a couple weeks until I saw roots, and now it’s in the ground. It does appear to be working?! (I’ll never have to buy celery again! Produce departments don’t want you to know this one neat trick!)

Onion Greens

In the same vein as ‘growing shit from scraps’… I’ve never tried this before but I hope it works. Just repotted the root portion of green onions from the grocery store.

The Natives

Maple Trees

There are several maples on the property. Unfortunately none are the sugar variety as far as I can tell, though I believe the silver/red maples can still be tapped for their syrup as well. That may be a project for next year…

…Apple? …Peach? Trees?

I’ve heard two tales about the orchard in the back of the land. The previous homeowner told me they were apple trees; while my neighbor says they are peach. I’ve looked at the blossoms online and I’m leaning towards apple, but this is another ???. I likely should have pruned these back, but unfortunately I didn’t know that until I looked them up-- after they started to bloom.

Wildflowers

Red Clover PURPLE DEADNETTLE

The bees LOVE this, and it’s all over the place. I’ve actually asked my husband to avoid mowing over it in several places; I think this is likely an early-season food for insects. (EDIT: Log has corrected me, these are purple deadnettle!)

Violets

You can make an herbal syrup from these little purple flowers. It’s okay. I tried it last year. It does make a pretty lemon drop martini though.

Onion Grass

I imagine most of you have probably seen this before. It’s actually an edible! Very strong smell. I noticed we have a lot of these around the old orchard, which makes me wonder if the original planters were trying to companion plant there. I’ve read that onion is a good friend of apples.

Mystery flowers

I just thought these were cute. I find these along the woodland areas under the cover of larger trees a lot. Any info would be appreciated if you’re good at identification!

OK I THINK THAT’S IT, HOLY COW. Literally almost everything growing in my yard currently. More details to come, likely in a video format soonish(?!). We’re due for a cold snap the next couple days so several of the smaller seedlings have been brought in for safety. Fingers crossed.

33 Likes

That’s a big info dump. Looks like you have most things handled.

Mystery flower looks like a blue bell variant.

Oh yeah they are pretty low maintenance, you can legit grow it in a tub of water if you wanted to

2 Likes

It makes me so happy to see level1 staff promoting gardening at home!

Have you thought about growing Cherokee Tomatoes during the summer? I grew some fat juicy ones up here in the PNW and they were best tomatoes I’ve ever tasted :yum:

2 Likes

That’s Purple Deadnettle, a member of the mint family. An easy tell for mint family plants are the square stems. The Mystery flower I believe is Henbit, which is also a member of the mint family. Both of these are common “weeds” in agriculture. They are definitely popular with bees, as they’ll put out flowers over an extended time over the year.

I’m a crop scout/agronomist, so anyone needing weed id can feel free to @me whenever.

The Onion Grass is also known as “Wild Garlic”. Very persistent in our hazelnut orchards here in oregon whenever it establishes. The ground flailing machines seem to spread it.

2 Likes

My plan is to build a small raised bed alongside our garage for tomatoes and peppers and basil, that area has a nice warm ‘microclimate’ when the sun hits it. Last year we grew San Marzanos (big hit, will likely do those again), Big Beefsteak, and regular ol Cherry tomatoes in pots. I’ve seen the Cherokees before I think, are they purple? What dishes do you use them in?

Ooh thanks! I got that completely mixed up; I’m still very much a noob at wild plants but I’m trying to get better. For those who are wondering what red clover looks like, here’s a pic:

Do you know what the tiny purple flowers were at the end of my post? The bees don’t seem as interested in them but I’ve seen them growing like a small cover crop around trees in the sun.

3 Likes

Those are most likely Henbit, also part of the mint family. Different bees prefer different flowers.

In fact, alfalfa is pollinated with leafcutter bees because Honeybees are lazy and will just chew through the flower to get the nectar, avoiding pollination, whereas carpenter bees use their tongues properly.

edit On second glance, could potentially be another mint family plant. Leaves on mint plants and many other weeds can change forms depending on location on the stalk. Could you get a clear picture of the leaves on the upper part and let me know if it smells minty/lavendery if crushed? I think it could also be ground ivy

1 Like

I am not particularly skilled with gardening, but have had easy success with strawberries recently if you’re looking to add anything low maintenance.

2 Likes

Looks like you have plenty of space and privacy on that property to really get some nice vegetation going. Maybe enough to survive off for a bit? good for the end times when trying to avoid the roaming hordes of blood thirsty bandits! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not familiar with any of those but maybe names changes as american English is wont to do. Gotta get you some Roosters for the good mash.

This definitely looks closer to what I have in the yard. The pic I took didn’t show super well but it’s a very short ground cover, and the flowers look identical now that I look this name up. Shame it’s invasive!

Thinking of doing strawberries soon; I’ve done them in hanging baskets in the past. I also saw a cool idea where you plant them in gutters:
We have enough space to grow them in-ground as a perennial but that might be a later project.

I had to look up Roosters, they look pretty similar to Red Norlands but are a seperate variety from what I can tell. I’d love to try sweet potatoes or those crazy purple potatoes too.

6 Likes

APRIL 26, 2021

Updates

Container Garden

The container gardens are looking good! They all survived last week’s frost with minimal damage-- largely because they’re cool-weather tolerant but whev, IT’S A WIN.

I did have to move some smaller seedlings inside. They did… okay. The green onions are taking off (they’ve grown a couple inches since last week), but my cilantro is looking pretty sad.

Po-Tay-Toes

I’m trying a couple new things this year with potatoes; I have five 15-pound grow bags of potatoes that I started a little over two weeks ago, as I posted before. Several of them are sprouting up now and I’ve had to add additional dirt and straw to two of the bags. Soon I’ll need to unroll the bags to add even more. (For those who are new to potato growing, more info here: https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/potato-grow-bag-instructions/7099.html)

ew seed potatoes

In addition to the grow bags, I’m also trying potatoes ‘in ground’. I added a layer of cardboard next to my blueberries, cut up my seed potatoes, and dumped straw on them:

Because I’m a bad scientist, I’m actually testing two variables in this bed: first time growing potatoes outside of a container, and first time growing potatoes entirely in straw. This bed is all Russet potatoes, so that’s consistent at least.

The Woods

Realized I didn’t talk about some of the other things on the back part of the property in the woods last time, so some pics!

The trail that goes through the back. Likely an old ATV trail.

Tiny clearing that I’ve built a ring of stones in for a camping firepit

Trees! Mostly maples [I think], but also some white pines, eastern red cedar, and oaks

Blackberries

There is a small trail that runs through the back acre of woods. When we moved in, it was COVERED in brambles. One of the first home purchases I made was a pair of shears, and I’ve slowly been knocking them back. I only recently realized they were blackberries after they got their leaves for the season! Extremely excited for these but also worried about keeping them from taking over the entire woods haha.

Mayapples

Those of you who watch our stream will probably remember me talking about this lol. After a big rain, I noticed several tiny plants growing along the forest floor throughout the woods. I just assumed they were weeds, and left them alone-- a later, unrelated internet search showed these to be Mayapple, a technically edible plant. They will eventually produce a fruit that can be eaten IF RIPE. I will probably try one if they produce a ripe fruit later in the season, because I like to live dangerously.

More info: How to Grow and Care for Mayapple

A Puddle? Or A Seep?

This photo just looks like a mud puddle. It probably is just a mud puddle. But I also wonder if this might be a small seep? This particular image was taken after a rain, but even if we have no rains for well over a week, this little ditch stays full of water. No idea how to tell; I will keep my eye on it over the summer though.

And some cool footprints lol

What it says on the tin. Racoon prints??? Anyone good at identifying tracks?

Upcoming Projects

I have some rhubarb that I need to get in the ground soon; I’m thinking about planting some up front for the pretty foliage + some around the rest of the garden. I also want to prepare for the #ReturnofLtDangle now that our risk for frost is almost over; but that will likely take a couple more weeks.

18 Likes

Think the animal tracks may be opossum.

Your yard really is the gardeners/outdoorsy dream. Keep those posts coming!

2 Likes

This would also make sense, when I take walks around the neighborhood I see possums everywhere. Usually dead… but that implies a living population somewhere, right? >_>

4 Likes

Or someone sending a message?

5 Likes