Kla3`s road to 4.7ghz on Ryzen 3700x

Hello good people!

I recently bought my first Ryzen chip, specifically the 3700X paired with a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite, and i thougt i would share my overclocking experiences in search for all them extra Mhz!

NB: This is not at all a guide on how to maintain a good 24\7 OC, this is just my experience with getting the most out of my chip for my HwBot rankings(hopefully breaking some records), so please, dont use this a “bible on overclocking” for 24\7 usecase, if that is something you want, please let me know, and i`ll write a easy version!

My rig is running a custom loop, with a 360mm rad, and Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram (4x8gb), other than that, i wont go into detail on the components, since it really doesnt matter for this blog.

So, right after windows was installed, i got all my benching stuff installed, HWmonitor, CPU-Z, Cinebench(r20 & r15), benchmate, AMD Ryzen master and fanspeed since we wanna ramp the fans up for max cooling when we are going for top frequency.

NB: i was ONLY using Ryzen Master for the CPU clocking, because reasons!

First test i ran was Cinebench R20 without touching anything in Ryzen Master, that resulted in a score of 4790cb on multicore, which seemed kinda low after what i had been reading online, so i checked all the data in HwMonitor, and sure enough, the CPU was volting all the way up to 1.48v, which is insane for a 4100mhz all core. (ramspeed was 3600mhz 18-22-22 for all test)

So i decided to ditch this auto stuff right away, didnt even bother trying to tweak it, so went for my own settings:

4.4ghz all core and 1.3vcore, this resulted in a score of 5277 in Cinebench R20:

Big improvement, and MUCH lower temps during the run, pegging at around 67c after 4 back to back runs of R20, so im happy with that.

I also tested this overclock for everything, and it is rock stable.

But we always want more right? so i went past the magical barrier on this chip, dialed in 4.5ghz all core, and bumped the vcore up to 1.485, and for some reason it passed, showing a score of 5383!

This score actually got me second place on HwBot for the 3700x league, so i felt happy, but, we want more right? NOPE, anything over 4.5 refused to pass Cinebench R20, even with 1.55vcore it wouldnt pass, i even tried turning the f-clock and ramspeed down, plain refused!

So settled on 4.5ghz as my max CB R20 run and went for the max frequency i could validate with CPU-Z(the standard for validating a overclock)

So i threw 1.5vcore at it, and dialed it in to 4.7 ghz, and it validated first try:

And i was struck with the same outcome again, would NOT go over 4.7, not even a small chance, even 4750mhz just instantly crashed it, but, i wont give up!

I have some other ram on the way, which might give me some room in the timings department, this might help with the fabric clock, until then, thank you for reading!

Keep in mind, this is done in 3 hours ish, so i didnt dial in much as i normally would, but i will update, and do that later!

Have a good one - Kla3

6 Likes

did you do per CCX? or just all core?

pure all core, have to have all cores at same speed to validate on HwBot, and CB scales better with all cores at the same speed

1 Like

Id still try per ccx just because… you know… dick measuring contest. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah my guess is it wont help me much, since the voltage is already so high, but i`m currently putting together my old chilled water stuff, so i will get higher :wink:

but to be honest, im pretty impressed with 4.4 @ 1.3 vcore, at the same time im not impressed, since ive been ocing HEDT Intel chips for many years

I mean my 3900x at 4.3/4.4 benchmarks similar to my 7700k at 4.6/4.7 in single core.

The number isnt as big but theres ground to be made.

I only ever pushed mine to 4.45 on all 12 cores before vcore was getting just a little too high for me to feel comfortable.

1 Like

Oh yeah the numbers they give out are impressive, that i agree on!

But i kinda like to be able to just keep pushing and finding ways to get them even higher in clocks, but it seems like Ryzen have a pretty hard wall they all hit around 4.5.

Back when overclocking was fun and BCLK was the shit, i used to to this, lol:

image_id_2157362_thumb

1 Like

Vengeance is b-die right? 4 b-die is heavy on the memory controller.
Just take two sticks out and run 2x8. Se how much you can lower soc and ram voltage while doing 3800 1:1 to give more thermal headroom to the CCD.

Nope, vengance with those timings are micron :wink:

Dammit now you made me want to push my 3800x…

Go for it!

Temps havent been a issue for me, its just figuring out in which ways i can push the silicon

CCX0 suxx will not go over 4475 at 1.5 and pass a CB20 run :frowning:

What is your f-clock set to? If you are just going for frequency, lowering the f-clock helps

1800, running 3600 1:1 cl16. With 2 sticks, I did 3800 cl17 but 4 sticks won’t go even 3733 cl22.

I checked the CPPC, ratings in event viewer and CCX0 is much worse than CCX1…

Blockquote
core1 (0,1) Maximum performance percentage: 127 CCX #2-core
core2 (2,3) Maximum performance percentage: 123 RM Silver
core3 (4,5) Maximum performance percentage: 116
core4 (6,7) Maximum performance percentage: 120
core5 (8,9) Maximum performance percentage: 141
core6 (10,11) Maximum performance percentage: 138 CCX #2-core
core7 (12,13) Maximum performance percentage: 130
core8 (14,15) Maximum performance percentage: 134 RM Gold

1 Like

Bad luck :\

But still a solid score, nice submission to HwBot :slight_smile:

maybe a little off topic but relevant none the less. what about OCing 2700x on x570? anyone tried this just to see?

Ive never tried it, never touched Ryzen until this one