Kitchen knife noobs

So my wife and I have started getting more into cooking instead of microwaving (murika) and we need a few good knifes. What would you guys recommend? Something nice but not breaking the bank. Let's say $300. I don't need a huge set.

I'd suggest watching a video on cutting technique if you're really getting serious about cooking.

Jacques Pepin knows his shit, and this video is awesome.

As far as spending that much, make sure you go to a kitchen supply store and get a feel for the knife before you buy it. The Shun Edo, the Shun premier, the Miyabi fusion, Miyabi morimoto, the Wusthof classic sets are all really good. I personally own the wusthof classic chef's knife.

There are usually good deals on knives though. I only grabbed the first links I saw, so that should give you a ballpack estimate, but shop around. My wusthof I got for 95 usd, so like fifty bucks off.

Also look into how to care for a knife (cleaning, sharpening, et cetera.)

2 Likes

Get a 12cm chefs knife, a utility knife and a paring knife

Wusthof is excellent.

Remember when buying kitchen knives that western and Asian knives are very different as they are for different purposes
Asian knives are for slicing, western for chopping.

Start with something like this

http://www.wusthof.com/usa/Products/Global-Product-Detail-Page.jsp?/classic/knife+blocks+sets/five+piece+cook%27s+set+9746/id-6872/

1 Like

That is going to be kind of hard to answer.

Let me start off by saying that I really like Shun. Shun and Wusthof are both make some very nice sets.

The two knives you need to be focused on are the pairing knife and the chef knife. Followed by a utility knife.

Your best bet would be to find a local knife shop, or one of those cooking stores you always see in malls (the name escapes me right now) and simply try out the knife.

We can sit here all day long and tell you how great certain knives are, but at the end of the day, what REALLY matters is how they feel in your hand.

If a knife is too light, or does not fit in your hand right, you are not going to have control over it.

1 Like

My Wusthof Chefs knife is over 25yrs old and still kicking. I have some Henckles which are good as well. I could not recomend the Wusthof knives enough, will last a life time.

1 Like

I would get a wustof chef knife and a santoku knife from something, idk if wustof makes one, I haven't looked.

My mom still uses her wustof knives from more than 30 years ago, they're still great.

1 Like

+1 For Wusthof classic. Got it for my girlfriend and has done really well. Personally, I would have gone with the Shun premiere, but she wanted a german style set. After tons of research, that seemed like the best set to go with in the price range. You definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

1 Like

I say get 2 or 3 Shun knives... I have 2 and literally never need another knife. Also, get an OK bread knife.

1 Like

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or a moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.