Kingston HyperX DDR3 modules

Hi, newcomer to the forum and first post so please bear with me! :sweat_smile:

I’ve bought 2x 4GB memory modules from Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 (933 MHz) PC3-14900 and the sticker (for what it’s worth) describes them as 4GB DDR3-1866 933 MHz CL 10 from Kingston data sheet, the PCB is black (some fake “rebadged” RAM normally have green PCB that they glue a different heatsink), the system RAM is currently running stable (up until now at least ) at 850Mhz CL 9 at 1.5v (regular module voltage).

The main issue is that the SPD data does not correlate with the memory description.

• CPU-Z SPD information says that Max Bandwidth is PC3-14200 (889 Mhz) but the highest JEDEC is #4 and the Frequency is just 685 MHz with CL 9;

• Aida64 says the same about the JEDEC memory frequency and timings but tells me that the Memory Speed is DDR3-1800 (900 Mhz);

• RAMMon says that the Memory Speed is DDR3-1777 (889 Mhz) PC3-14200;

Once i had some Mushkin Blackline - DDR3 996783st modules and i believe that the rated spec printed on the label, PC3-12800 (800 Mhz) CL 7 wasn’t available on the SPD. Is this also the case? The weird thing is that there is a large gap between the maximum SPD frequency and the “rated frequency”.

• What specs are these modules?

Might be OEM ram, that is not listed on their official site? I am guessing consumer grade ram is listed, but OEM is not?

Btw, CPU-z says 900MHz, so does AIDA is 900MHZ, you double the 900 and you get 1800. That is how ram works.

1 Like

If i search the partnumber on the RAM’s sticker i find a dataSheet on Kingston’s website with the information, and i quote:

Is a 512M x 64-bit (4GB) DDR3-1866
CL10 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 1Rx8 memory module,
based on eight 512M x 8-bit DDR3 FBGA components. This
module has been tested to run at DDR3-1866 at a low latency
timing of 10-11-10 at 1.5V. Additional timing parameters are shown in the PnP Timing Parameters section below. The JEDEC standard electrical and mechanical specifications are as follows:

Note: The PnP feature offers a range of speed and timing options to support the widest variety of processors and chipsets. Your maximum speed will be determined by your BIOS.

PnP JEDEC TIMING PARAMETERS:
• DDR3-1866 CL10-11-10 @1.5V
• DDR3-1600 CL9-10-9 @1.5V
• DDR3-1333 CL8-9-8 @1.5V

Yes i understand that, but since the RAM should be 933 MHz and is only showing on CPUz / Aida64 as 900 MHz i must assume its only 900 MHz or is also the same case as the Mushkin Blackline modules that i had, that the maximum frequency on SPD table was lower than the one on the sticker.

Getting rated speed is not 100% garentee, needs to be on QVL for you to have any argument and honestly rams speed has only been a thing that is actually important to a certain extent on Zen. Wouldn’t worry about it, just check to see if it fails a memetest and if not your good. Also you are running in quad channel so adds more of a chance it not working.

as far as i understand the JDEC matter, JEDEC settings are the “official” settings that the industry agrees upon.
For server and such stuff.
All memory sticks will do certain JEDEC binns.

What is most often printed on the Consumer Sticks is XMP “Overclocking” speeds.
And not some JDEC standard.

And then there is the fact that noone cares about fricken SPD data.
Not even the manufracturer.

EDIT: jea, got it wrong. Overlooked something again. …

I’ve done some gaming and some light tests with memetest at my current specs (850Mhz CL 9) and no hiccups.

Ill do a more thorough validation with memetest and if it passes ill call it a day, after all if the RAM sticks are running well at this speed must be because they’re somewhat real.

But, before review the ebay seller, is there a way to know if I’ve got DDR3-1800 900 Mhz RAM modules instead of the DDR3-1866 933 MHz advertised (of course beside setting up my system RAM at that speeds and memetest them :laughing:)

I get that but what droves me off is the other 2 Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 (933 MHz) PC3-14900 modules that i have

Most advertised speed on ram is an OC (XMP profile etc) and that usually also requires QVL from the manufacture on a specific board. Being that it was purchased in a set of 2 I would assume its only certified to run at that speed with 2 channels and only 2 chips. If you can find the chips on the Kingston site then they are legit just probably dont like your hardware. You could try booting with just the two new sticks and see what you boot at with XMP enabled.

Besides the “miss report SPD data” they are running fine on my hardware.
I think ill do some memetest and leave it be…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.