Kinesis Freestyle RGB on Level 1 Tech KVM HID port

I just installed my brand new triple monitor L1 Tech KVM! It works amazingly well and is probably the best KVM I’ve ever used. Switches properly every time, and I think it’s mis-detected 1 monitor one time, but otherwise it’s super solid! Supports G-sync and 144 HZ at 1440p, and I switch between a Mac with a CalDigit (the third monitor comes from a dedicated extra cable) and a PC with a GeForce 2080 TI

However, I did have one issue. Seems my Kinesis Freestyle RGB keyboard doesn’t work with the HID ports. Does anyone know of a way that I might address this? On my older IOGear KVMs, the HID functionality could be disabled.

I work around this by connecting the keyboard to one of the USB ports (through a hub, and it works fine) but unfortunately that now means none of the keyboard switching sequences work and now I have to press the button.

A minor inconvenience for sure, but I wanted to see if any of my fellow nerds on here had any sort of a workaround?

I’m actually facing a quite similar problem with my webcam, a Logi C920.

Everything works as expected and it’s awesome, but hooking up the C920 to a console HID port (which would result in the neatest cable management) results in the webcam being detected by Windows (haven’t tested Mac), but not functioning. Logitech Capture tells me the webcam is in use by a different program, but it definitely isn’t.

It works perfectly fine when plugged into the front blue USB 3 port. Minor inconvenience with the cable management and my OCD, but I thought I’d raise it anyway :slight_smile:

P.S. John from store support was awesome, give that man a raise :innocent:

My guess is the HID protocol is pretty poorly implemented by a lot of manufacturers. I have the same problem as well with my Microsoft Lifecam Studio HD, which I think actually bills itself as HID compliant (though don’t quote me on that).

I think the best bet is to simply invest in a solid powered USB hub and connect all your non-HID things to the one USB port in the back, and that should be pretty easy to cable manage away. For me, I 'm lucky that because I’m using 3 monitors (Acer Predator XB271HU), each has its own USB hub, so I can simply chain those together for enough ports to get what I need and the cable management solves itself.

Still, if you’re watching Wendell, please pay more attention to this scenario in the next version of the KVMs, it’ll take the product from “pretty good” to “great!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.