Killed my mobo with water in the socket

It was an asrock taichi ultimate and definitely dead now. I have a new board on order but will my Ryzen 3700 work in that or is that dead too? To be clear, some water got in between the CPU and the socket while it was installed, and the machine will no longer POST. I flushed it with isopropanol and compressed CO2. Pretty sure its dead now. I just really want my CPU to still work. If they are both dead I need to quit computers.

What are the chances? Should I just buy a new CPU now or is it actually worth testing this one in the new board?

how did water get in the socket?

3 Likes

I suspect a failed watercooling experiment?

Itā€™s worth a try, at least. If it works, then fine. If not and budget is an issue, consider downgrading to a 1600AF or the newer 3100. At 120 USD (or thereabouts) both are fairly cheap and should keep you running for a while.

1 Like

If there was a failure somewhere near the CPU, then Iā€™d expect that to get water all over the board and the socket. That would be much more dramatic than anything Iā€™d call ā€œwater in the socketā€, but maybe thatā€™s just me. :upside_down_face:

I was being an idiot and I donā€™t want to tell you what I didā€¦ but, I made my own thermal paste, and I knew it was gunna kill my pc, out of salt water and smashed up pencil lead, thatā€™s what got in the socket, the worst possible thing.

Well guess what, I just had a terrible 5 hours sleep and the board works now. No kidding.

I ordered real thermal paste and a good cooler too last night. I was really pushing this chip to the edge of its limits.

I only powered it down to mess with the thermal paste as it was running 105 degrees.

So I ordered a new cooler too.

I have made my own thermal compound before out of non conductive grease and smashed pencil lead and it worked great so I got cocky, I tried to make it again, but couldnā€™t find the grease, I used salt water, knowing full well what I was doing was lethal, I spent ages ā€˜making sureā€™ not too much of the water was left (my intention was to dry with hair dryer a d leave only salt) but during this process one single drop of that BS got into the socket.

Donā€™t ever ever ever get impatient to see gains and make your own water based compound.

The weird thing is, I know my compound was gunna really rock it was magnesium salt and stuff like that but donā€™t risk it just donā€™t risk it

Now I have to do a full dayā€™s work and Iā€™m shattered I stayed up all night doing that.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking for my use case a high end x470 board is as good as a low end b550 board. I donā€™t see any compelling reason not to cancel my order for the new board now. I did look at x570 but I wonā€™t buy a board with a chipset fan ever again since 3013. I just donā€™t like them.

I donā€™t like the idea that pci4 has a monstrous energy cost and little benefit right now.

One reason why I messed with water is because Iā€™m so lucky i always get away with things. I got away with it yet again so this isnā€™t going to help my case in future, I still believe I can do anything lol.

I wonā€™t do that again though because I value my time and sleep.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.