Keyboards, mech and dome

hey all,

its time for me to learn more stuff.

i have researched the difference between mech keyboards and dome, so i am aware of the physical difference and the working difference.

however something i am unable to answer is, is there a performance difference between mech and dome keyboards?

do the mechs respond faster? ie have a lower latency?

or is the mech verus dome simply about "feel" and what you like?

the reason for my confusion is there are mech and dome gaming keyboards. when i read reviews and what not most people seem to carry a bias toward mech over domes. i would like to sort it out for my self.

i have used old old mech keyboards and i have a cheap dome one right now, and aside from getting a bigger key roller over i am wondering what the advantages are for "gaming" stuff.

i am starting to think that gaming labels are an excuse to increase the price on goods. i know there are certain things that are tuned to gaming functionality, but i still feel the label is more for pricing.

so please help shed some light for me on the whole mech verus dome keyboard. what are your thoughts and experiences and why?

thanks for helping

esr

Gaming keyboards generally have a higher key roll over.  Mechanical switchs are going to allow you to type a little faster but not a huge difference the difference is mostly feel and build quality.

i am starting to think that gaming labels are an excuse to increase the price on goods. i know there are certain things that are tuned to gaming functionality, but i still feel the label is more for pricing.

ding ding ding

Exactly, I mean look at a Alienware PC, it's a Dell machine but you're paying for looks and a brand. Much like Apple devices. Are they better then Windows? Some aspects, yes and other aspects no. However is it worth the extra 200-300 bucks? No, not really. It's a preference on a brand name. Sorta the same way with gaming items. I paid an extra 10-20 bucks for my keyboard because I wanted a certain look to it. Was it better then my Dell keyboard I used for years? Other the LEDs it was the exact same.