Keyboard Recomendations

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to replace my SteelSeries Apex keyboard preferably similar in feel to Razer green switches preferably RGB as well. any suggestions are appreciated thanks in advance!

Honestly, the RGB switches aren't well regarded for their feel.

It's hard to beat a KUL for price and build quality ... of course they only do TKLs.

For light shows, folks tend to like Ducky.

I have a Majestouch TKL that I'm quite fond of. It's pretty basic, but built like a tank.

Leopolds seem to be easier to find these days and besides the usual suspects, they have a new model that is loosely based on a Cherry 1800.

If price isn't a big issue, it's quite easy to build your own. I recently built a ClueBoard with Alps switches and it's hands down my favorite board! It even has RGB back-lighting.

1 Like

How much would building one run me from clueboard?

IIRC, I only have about $150 tied up in mine, including the RGB back-light illumination, but if you were to add fancy Zealio switches (+~$40), GMK keycaps (+~$125) and an aluminum chassis (+~$125), you could quite easily spend a bundle on this little gem. That said, it's totally worth it. The the PCB accommodates either Alps, or MX-type switches and it allows for multiple key layouts.

Check 'em out.

Here's another helpful link.

1 Like

You won't get the best with most RGB keyboards.

I'd go for the RGB Vortex Pok3r in Cherry MX Blue's or Greens. (Blues are lighter than greens, but more similar to Razer's switches)

1 Like

Do you want rgb programmable? Under every key? Or just the bottom of the keyboard glowing different colours.

CoolerMaster Masterkey Pro L as an example of individual key rgb.

Ps2avrgb as an example of rgb underglow.

Any other features you want. Full size, TKL, 75%, 60%, 40%, programmability, layers, hot swap switches?

2 Likes

I'd love to build a keyboard but the cost puts me off UK. I have a Corsair stealth no rgb but great for the price.

You can build super cheap but it is a game of in depth searching, waiting for deals, and long delivery times. Can be had easily for less than 100. Even in the superior UK ISO layout, though it can be harder to find.

1 Like

I've been using the Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX silent switches for a few months now. The lighting is fantastic, so many options.

The switches are a little light for me after coming from a low profile membrane keyboard, if I rest my fingers on them I find myself sometimes pressing something I shouldn't. There have been a number of deaths from walking off buildings when attempting to snipe.. I think this is more an issue with me needing to retrain my fingers to be in a higher position though.

It is a very quiet keyboard & build quality is really good.

1 Like

preferably under every key as well asFull size and I'd like to have media keys (play, nex,t back, etc.) I'll likely stick with blues so swappable switches aren't a priority.

1 Like

In that case straight away I can put the above shown MasterKeys Pro L up for decision.

I have more but need to go look up what is current. I will not however be linking any corsair boards. If you like them it is up to you to look into them. I have a personal problem with corsair and their products/staff quality.

1 Like

If you decide on Corsair products and use Linux be prepared to jack with the grub boot quirks. Their keyboards aren't super friendly.

1 Like

I'm really tempted by the Masterkey pro L unless you have a better suggestion.

Right away no. I will have a look in a bit.

1 Like

would you recommend ordering or do you think you will be able to find a better one?

Razer have the chroma. Not sure on size though.

Ducky have the Shine 5 with rgb. It can be a pain to.program the colours from what I hear.

There is also the E-element rgb keyboard but I know nothing of its abilities, but it is cheap.

That's the most common and easy to find ones. There are likely a few more full size, with the right switches and rgb boards out there. This was just the quick search.

1 Like

^

I am not a fan of LEDs under keys. So have not used any of these boards. You have a solid 4 and 5 if you include corsair to compare and see what you want from them.

Personally if I had to I would get the master keys boards with ducky being a close second. But look the features and usability of them for yourself. A large part of the appeal is the RGB and if it is a nightmare to use then the board will not be as nice over all.

2 Likes

I have that one, pretty cool that someone ported their software to Linux too

https://terrycain.github.io/razer-drivers/

(Have yet to use, can not confirm usability/stability. The Keyboard works with out it on Ubuntu, just cant reprogram and do all the fanciness)

idk how much "better" or "worse" it is, but I love it... the "chroma" software gimmick is awesome when games are programed for it like overwatch. Really easy to reprogram with the software too.

Course it is my first fancy keyboard so lol but it "feels" and "sounds" great

2 Likes

From the options, I think the Masterkeys Pro L will be the best fit as far as features and price. Thank you guys for the help.