Kewldude007's 2016 Setup Upgrade Thread [FINISHED, pics, backstory included]

Yes its a thing but in most cases it only takes 10 to 15 minutes of heat for things to work okay, I'm not familiar with the noctua thermal paste

It still spikes immediately

shit

what up with that input voltage 1.7?!?

nevermind looked at the wrong voltage... >_>

whats with that .8 tho...

that's the pretty normal for idle/moderate load voltage. i thought the input voltage was the core voltage for a moment which was why i freaked out.

1 Like

im gonna take a look i the bios

Crank that AIO down onto the socket, or apply what you may consider too much thermal paste and see if it fills up any void between the IHS and AIO coldplate.

did all of that unfortunately

no biggie, I'll just get another one

and we think its the TIM on the die, or well NOT on die in my case

100C in 2 seconds is not even remotely normal

the topic spilled into the lounge Rudster and I both think it's the IHS.

1 Like

Grab a knife and delid the sucker. :P

pfff knives are skylake vice and hammer is for ivy and haswell.

You can delid any CPU with a knife. Other tools are available.

if im not mistaken AMD and a few INTEL CPU's have solder for TIM under there heat spreaders making it a risky mission to delid.

Most AMD CPUs from the last 10 years are soldered, older Intel CPUs from about the Core 2 Quads to Sandy-Bridge were also soldered, but they switched to using TIM with Ivy.

thats why a lot of hate is aimed at ivy bridge and not being able to maintain a high OC. damn intel and there planned obsolescence. sorry but going from something that does not breakdown to something that does is a dick move in my book.

It's a fair assessment to say switching to TIM was a bad idea, but they're implementing it better now and it causes few issues. It's not entirely fair to say it ruined Ivy, or kills the chips. Any normal Ive-Bridge CPU will continue to run for years, regardless of how the IHS was packaged on it. Just the K series chips suffered as a result of the TIM.

no cure time