Kernel Update breaks HDMI Sound

I’ve been away enjoying the PCI passthrough system everyone here helped me to build. Coming back with a problem.

I am running Xubuntu 18.10, Linux kernel v5.0.1. I decided I should bump the kernel so I installed v5.1.3 using Ukuu. After rebooting I no longer have HDMI sound.

The Host GPU is Nvidia. Do I need to reload the Nvidia drivers to get the HDMI sound working or is there something else I need to do.

My system config:

ASRock X470 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 8x 3.70GHz, boxed
Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2G Low Profile, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI
Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX 590 8GD5, 8GB GDDR5, DVI, 2x HDMI
ATEN US234-AT USB 3.0 Sharing Switch, 2-fold
G.Skill Trident Z DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB, M.2 (MZ-V7E1T0BW)
StarTech PEXUSB3S24, 2x USB-A 3.0, PCIe x1

try bumping the kernel back down

Yes if I boot with the 5.0.1 kernel it works again.

I tried reinstalling the Nvidia driver without success. I also tried kernel v5.1.4 which was a no go. After rebooting to 5.0.1 kernel I had no HDMI sound. However another reinstall of the Nvidia drivers restored the HDMI sound. At this point I am out of ideas. I suspect perhaps the Nvidia driver is not compatible with the newer kernel and so I wait for a driver upgrade.

If you happen to stillhave the Nvidia versions, might help future people know that xxx.xx doesn’t seem to work with x.x.x or whatever?

It’s funny, but there seem to be several “current” driver versions.
The Ubuntu software centre offered like a 1year old NV driver in the software centre (supposedly tested and good) but NVidia offer a much newer one directly.

Then there is Nouvou or however it’s spelt, which for non gaming seems a whole lot better than I remember

Good point!

Nvidia driver 390