Kaby lake reviews

Overclocking Intel’s Core i7-7700K: Kaby Lake Hits The Desktop!

Well is it me or kaby lake turns out to be disappointment (power consumption and temperatures)?

Here's also older asian review

Intel Core i5-7600K Review Published Before NDA – 9% Faster Than Core i5-6600K But No IPC Gains Over Skylake

Yeah i think that Kabylake isnt realy that much to get excited about.
But i have not looked into in more depth yet.

1 Like

9% is a lot for intel gotta update now.

7 Likes

I like this one...

20% lower power efficiency and between 2 and 4% average performance...
Damn it Intel, you have all the money in the world...

Kabylake: Skylake but slightly faster.
Lol.

1 Like

Like: 200mhz higher clock, but say good bye to efficiency and temperatures...

I like how Tom builds up expectation in the beginning of review, and turns out to be "thrown out the window", but lacks any reaction or opinion at the end. Like, maybe it's a mbo. Sure it is (cpu is supported, same architecture, both tested on same one)...

2 Likes

No need to spend it when there's no competition and people are still buying it up.

This reminds me of the FX-9000 chips...
Intel? You fucked up somewhere? I hope not, I want cheap Zen CPUs and for that, Intel needs to be a tad stronger than AMD.

1 Like

toms hardware retest on a different Z170 mbo (updated too). It does cosume little less power in retest, but so does skylake too. Heat difference is still huge

Thank you for sharing, that's really interesting, but also depressing with the lack of performance. Here's hoping Zen will be at least close to competitive to scare intel into raising performance significantly and perhaps trying something new.

Here is also some chineese review. What is different to toms hardware is that they tested on Z270 mbo, and power conumption was not tested in prime95. So on the same voltage in consumes same power as skylake, and heat is little less that 2C higher than skylake. Also there is no any IPC improvement (it's even slower in average than skylake at same clock, but way within margin of error, so basicaly ipc is the same because archictecture is te same).

Kaby Lake: An even smaller jump than Haswell-Refresh to Skylake was.

Yeah there's nothing interesting in this release for me. No new platform is going to really get me excited to buy if it can't offer more than a quad core. I guess I'll sit and wait for Skylake-E...

1 Like

I'm not disappointed with performance that much (although they said more, 300-400 mhz more on same voltage, or 12% increase in process performance), but efficiency and especially temperatures are let down (according to toms hardware results)

@Throbbing_Coil would you prefer my i3 overclocker thread be merged or closed.
I was thinking there should just be one Kaby Lake thread from someone who actually has an intel build.
I so don't have the time to maintain it:)

Looking forward to see some of the new Z270 motherboards.
Those Asus boards look very cool.

Who's Buying it? They lost profit from Haswell to Skylake despite overcharging on Skylake at first. They are only doing better than AMD, but their old processors are challenging their new stuff.

What about the fivr, is it back on the die?
More esoteric, libcec support on the hdmi interface?
Thanks for the informative video.

Damn!
Level1Techs got the drop on Kaby Lake desktop
My YouTube is overrun with Level1Techs content this morning.

Congrats. I hope the views you get put you in the black. Nice way to jumpstart the year.

Yeah, going from no build to new build was a no brainer for me. z270 with 7700k all the way.

I was planning on getting the MSI M7, but then i saw how garbwater the rgb lighting software and colors were and i was turned off. Looks like i'll be paying the asus premium for the maximus ix formula.

I hope before i pull the trigger (roughly in 3 weeks time from today), that another pretty and powerful mobo hits the shelves for slightly less in cost. Wont hold my breath.

Depends a bit on the feutures you would really need basicly.
The Asus Maximus iX Hero for example is a realy decent upper midtier board.
So if you not like to pay the upper price for a semi to highend board,
then the Hero is definitelly a good choice.
I was exally hoping to see a new Asrock Z270 OC Formula, but it seems like,
that they have abandoned that line of boards unfortunatlly.