Return to Level1Techs.com

Just wondering how you do your data and my future data plans in theory (cloud vs NAS, and sharing to family may be)

Hey all,

I’m very slowly testing a new data routine - in the past it’s been pretty easy, I just stuck with what worked for me:

Dropbox - live and accessed/modified (work and play related) as well as camera upload.
GDrive - archive but quickly accessible on all devices
Windows PC - Long term, only used for storage and emergency workstation, backed up with BackBlaze.

My new routine might be:

NextCloud - Short/Long Term, doing what Dropbox/GDrive used to do (hosted on my TrueNAS “server”)
TrueNAS - Long term with plex involvement

I’ve only been testing NextCloud for a few days so far, very impressed. I’ve been testing TrueNAS for a year now, incredible system.

Something I’m a bit cloudy on (ha), is how I’m going to arrange photos. NextCloud’s immediate phone sync seems pretty good (only tested for screenshots, not proper photos). A downer is that my Samsung TV (not that old, perhaps 2017’ish) doesn’t have a NextCloud app…interestingly though it does do SyncThing. I played with it a while back and found it a little complex, although I did get it working I had other time commitments at the time and could apply the effort needed.

PLEX

I have been demo’ing Plex for media viewing, in part because it works so well on my TV. I’m still trying to optimise the install, there are plenty of guides that I haven’t quite got the hang of, but I’m generally happy with it, on TV, computer or mobile phone.

ELDERLY PARENTS AND SHARING MEDIA

A side thought is that my parents could do with a better TV system (they still have VHS player and a 10 year TV box), and admitted it as well. I would also really like to share things easier, at the moment I send them videos via a YouTube link, which I send to my mum’s mobile phone. Thing is, my dad is quite badly disabled and so she shows it to him on a tiny screen. My theory is to buy them an Nvidia Shield (not Pro) and then add Plex and share my account with them, so they can see anything I do, almost instantly. I’ve got the Nvidia Shield Pro and it’s a neat little machine, something that’s really good is that it can/has accepted streams from outside the LAN it’s connected to (when I had my TrueNAS in my office off-site), I’m hoping that the same can be said about the standard Shield.

DISABILITY AND TECH

Shield Remote: Something that concerns me is my dad using the control, it’s a tiny little thing and he has limited hand mobility. I wonder if there’s a solution to this?

WHY AM I BACKING AWAY FROM DROPBOX/G DRIVE?

It’s not a privacy thing, I have too many other greater concerns going on day to day - when you can be called upon at any time of day or night because my dad’s fallen down and I need to pick him up, what info the big companies are scraping from my data is of little concern. I know this can be a concern for others, and I know they’re justified.

What gets me is how the services are slowly being raked in - dropbox has been cutting down what the free accounts get to do, which is understandable from some perspectives. I used to be able to login to almost unlimited devices, now it’s down to 3. Camera upload seems more likely to work when I open the Dropbox app on my phone, before it did it as soon as it sniffed wifi.

Likewise GDrive, they took away camera uploads so far as I know, so I’m just thinking of preventative solutions before they both give up…I guess I’ll save some money though, instead of paying for GDrive’s business with 1TB storage, I could just get the email only version once I’ve migrated.

Anyway, welcome any comments on my mumblings!

Cheers,:+1:
Chris

Forgot to mention, I have 20GB of storage with my Dropbox account, mainly via referrals when I first started using it. I teeter on the edge of this constantly, normally anywhere between 15-18GB…and that’s getting quite annoying!

This is the sort of thing I’m getting from Dropbox, the very second I go over 80% usage. Just look at the subject heading!!!