Just when you thought Nintendo couldn't get more stupid

I give credit to Nintendo on the Switch for it's versatility compared to the Wii U. And it's portability, something people here seem to forget as to why the Switch is underpowered. I already see more value in the system myself than a PS4 as far as features go, even though I would not dare compare the libraries as this is painfully one sided in the PS4's favor, even though I play most of those games on PC.

But, I am not really a fan of Nintendo's proprietary nature, something I criticized Apple, Microsoft (to some extent) and Sony (Playstation Vita's 32 GB card costed me $60, I paid the same amount for 200 GB microSD for the Switch). It actually holds them back from creating an even better experience.

Think of it this way, imagine the experiences they could create on PC or on mobile compared to a locked down system. They could still create hardware like the Wii Motion Controls or those Joycons.

I am liking the Switch more than a lot of people and will be my first time I adopt a console early (I always been late for consoles, not because they are bad though) but it is coming with a fair share of it's faults right now.

My biggest con right now is overpriced peripherals. The joycons are passable, they are improved motion controls and with a grip is only $95 or $110 with a charging grip and can double as a full controller in the mix, whereas the regular Pro controller is $70 and there is no excuse for it, I called Sony and Microsoft out on this and they finally dropped the price. The price of the dock is terrible too, $90?

Their library is starting stronger than the Wii U, but it isn't all that amazing even though there are a few great games. All of these problems would be countered more easily if they had gone the third party route honestly. I don't even think for Nintendo's sake it's worth going through this much trouble with first party hardware outside of profits, but their consoles are hit or miss usually, maybe this one is a in between.

I completely agree about what they could accomplish if they moved to PC, but then you'd have people complaining that they had to buy peripherals just to play games. You can't please the PC gaming community. The pro controller is overpriced completely, I agree, should be $40. I won't buy one at launch I'm sure. The dock is absurd too may not be as absurd as you think. Go look at USB hubs with HDMI output... they're generally pretty expensive. Docking stations don't come cheap for whatever reason.

I'd disagree that the consoles are hit or miss. Nes, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii were all incredible consoles. The Wii U looks neat, but I can't comment on it. Just because the N64 got outsold by the PS1 doesn't make it any less of a great console.

Nintendo has a history of hitting more than miss, but what I meant by hit or miss is that it does very well or it does poorly. The Gamecube wasn't a success and a hit btw, even though I think it was a great console (It was competing against a PS2, the PS2 was also a great console).

The N64 had great games but that's as far as it goes as far as how good the system itself is aside from outperforming the PS1. The N64 had a worse controller and the PS1 also had a good library. I missed out though on the Sony stuff back then regretfully.

Yeah docks are usually expensive, so overpriced docks is nothing new, but I would think Nintendo would make some of their peripherals cheaper so that it's more easily accessible. Making a dock cheaper would turn some heads around.

I do not know if this was mentioned , because when threads start to get long like this one, I only read the first couple of posts then scroll all the way to the bottom. While docked the device can do 1080p although some games that will be available on launch day can not even achieve 1080p resolution. I am sure this will change latter on when more people use the console tho.

But anyway even if the media/everyone sees this has a failure I am sure the people that play the console will have fun and enjoy it.

1 Like

I go back to the "experience" side of Nintendo. As long as the game is immersive I couldn't care less about the fidelity of the game. No Zelda game has "wowed" on release but they've always been amazingly fun (subjective, to me at least.) I'd rather a great experience than incredible graphics myself.

Half of those posts were mine, I should have made better use of this website's quotations. Cause I made a mess here.

Zelda games have a very good track record, it's hard to come up with a bad title, a better track record than Mario games I would say. Yeah, I rather just have a great game than incredible graphics, but the 3DS had to suffer from such low performance it actually hinders the experience, and Switch is going to have higher expectations so who knows if this will be an issue or not.

More bad news for the Nintendo Switch ...

LOL! The only reason Ubi*** is putting this game on the Nintendo Switch is because it is a game that isn't selling well and they need to make back money on it and putting it on another console may help. It is clear that non-Nintendo developers/publishers don't care about this system despite them saying so. Already the makers of Borderlands 3 said it won't be on the system and now you have Ubi**** who has some really great games to offer instead offering this. LOL! Nintendo really needs to try harder for better support from developers outside of Nintendo. I thought the Xbox One failed hard with PR and more before launch but Nintendo may top them. LOL!

Nvidia has infected Nintendo.

1 Like

I watched the launch and meh, I guess I expected more. Not to mention the translator got fired that night or one would hope so...

Third party support is is gonna tank within the year of the Switch's release. Ninty never learns

1 Like

New zelda and supermario games would be pretty cool.
Maybe a new castlevania title aswell.