Just got an iPhone for the first time ever - Custom ringtones, best solution?

So I just got an iPhone, coming from my 7 year-old Android phone. I go to add a ringtone (MP3 file) and I see it doesn’t work. Hell, I don’t even know how to add files altogether. I can’t simply drag and drop when it’s connected to my PC.

What’s this i’m hearing, iPhones only accept M4Rs or AACs as ringtones? Ugh… iTunes seems to be good at converting these file types. I’m a PC user, and the thought of having iTunes again (had an iPod Nano ages ago) is kind of annoying. It’s a pretty large installation, too - coming in at 250ish MBs. For something that i’m going to be using basically just to add files to my iPhone, it seems a little ridiculous. Or should I just simply pull the trigger on iTunes? Is there something simpler for my needs, or is iTunes the best option, still?

I think iTunes is your best option. But I don’t dig to deep into third party stuff. Hell I couldn’t even tell you the last time I set up an iOS device with iTunes on a computer honestly. Or synced with a computer.

So what do you do if you want custom ringtones?

Buy them on the iTunes Store for I think a dollar or so. I don’t have any that I’ve made myself or anything like that.

And seriously, is ZOOMED the ONLY way to make the keyboard bigger? I’m coming from an old HTC Sensation that has a much smaller screen and I see basically no difference in texting ability. It’s irritating as hell.

That one you might be able to find a third party keyboard to solve. I have heard good things about the Microsoft one. I used it for a bit. But ended up back on stock after I didn’t feel like waiting for it to relearn my typing style

last iphone I had was a 5s. I used Zedge for it. It requires some trickery to load the ringtone into itunes to put back onto your phone, but it worked well enough.

2 Likes

What issue are you actually having? The keyboard (on the normal XS for example) is the same size if not slightly larger keys than the google keyboard on a pixel xl.

It’s an iPhone 6. And I don’t have Munchkin-sized hands/fingers. All solutions are to go to display settings and set it to zoomed. Then everything else is zoomed. I just want the keyboard to be bigger.

The trick with these keyboards is not to attempt to get every letter perfect, and trust in autocorrect. But try GBoard, swiping may feel better for you.

Heres the basics.

You don’t.

Apply that to anything you can do with an android phone outside of normal things like call text and a few apps.

Instead. Apply ‘you buy it’ and thats iphone. I like it at base, but its not a platform I’m invested in. Not enough to buy things outside of minecraft or spotify premium.

1 Like

I vouch for Zedge as well although it’s from my Android experience

Got anymore misinformation to spread?

The frogs were already gay.

1 Like

My impression is that iPhones work the way Apple want them work. Not the way you want them to work.

I mean… keys can only get so big on the size of screen you decided on. You can’t make keys bigger on Android either on the default keyboard. keys can’t be wider than the screen size so no matter what keyboard you pick, the keys will be as wide as the width of the screen.

Yep, there are large keyboards available for iOS also. Typically they use the phone in landscape.

GAAAAAH!

I’m almost contemplating using my old shit-bucket system that’s sitting in the same room as a dedicated dummy system just for my iPhone/iTunes. But it’s slow as sin…

Uggh… Can I at least suck it up and just dedicate the 250ish MBs of space i’ll need on my system and NOT worry about iTunes taking up a shitload of space on my system. My Caviar blue 1TB is down to 256GBs. Sheesh…

The last time I used iTunes was when I had an iPod Nano. The first generation that looked like miniature cellphones. And I remember after a couple of years of use iTunes used up a LOT of space and seemingly made my system slower.

Any advice overall?

It’s 250mb of 250gb stop fussing over nothing is my advice…