JRPG suggestions

Need JRPG games to play that is turn based not tactical i.e Final Fantasy Tatics. Preferbaly from the early 00's and the 90's.

The games that I have already played:
FF1-6
Paladin Quest
Lufia Rise of the Sinistrals and the other one that I can't remember the name (SNES)
Tales of Phantasia
Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Denetsu 3)
Seiken Denetsu (Seiken Denetsu 2) I am not Japanese or read any of it.
Breath of Fire 1
Breath of Fire 2

Will not play FF7 FF8 FF10

Edit* NO RPGMAKER GAMES FOR THE LOVE ALL THAT IS HOLY. NO!.

My buddy really likes these titles:
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Zestiria
Agarest: Generations of War Zero
Agarest: Generations of War
Agarest: Generations of War 2

Will always recommend Persona 3 FES

Tales series are more action based than turn based so No. Same for Agarest: Generations. No.

ps. Even though I am kinda contradicting myself with the Seiken Denetsu 2 and 3 and Tales of Phantasia. It's just that these games do not interest me in the slightest bit.

1 Like

persona nocturne and ff tactics 2

^ and Persona is peeking my interest.

try.
phantasy star (series I - IV)
Star Ocean
Star Ocean: The Second Story
earthbound (aka mother 2)
Chrono Trigger!
dragon quest (series 1-7)
Shining in the Darkness

Skies of Arcadia (or Legends for the Gamecube version)
Pretty much any Tales of or Dragon Quest series.

Chrono Cross (my all-time favorite retro jrpg)
Legend of Dragoon
Saga Frontier
Jade Cocoon

I'll second legend of dragoon (ps1)
Hard to pick when you exclusively want turn based combat. It's a dying (dead?) genre

well the OP is looking for games from the early 00s and 90s, so there's a ton of good ones to choose from.

@thorium233

Already played Chrono Trigger which how that game skipped my mind... bloody Lavos. Earthbound I have played before but the theme of being in a modern setting just irks me. I have tried it and seen reviews of Earthbound. Will check out the DQ Quests series and I have already finished DQ 6 on the DS. Thanks for the suggestions.

no problem.
I also remembered some other games.
Golden Sun (gba)
Golden Sun:lost age(gba)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
Evolution: The World of Sacred Device (dreamcast)
Evolution 2: Far Off Promise (dreamcast)
a gamecube version of both games above on 1 disk called "evolution worlds" was created but it's crap. the game looks slightly better but they added some bad voice acting and cut or changed alot of stuff.
Sands Of Destruction (DS)
Xenosaga (PS2 / DS)
^expect long cutscenes.

1 Like

Lufia series, SNES or GBC. Story is a bit similar to Golden Sun but I'd say that from battle view games its my favorite one.

Then just from JRPG's, SNES Seiken Densetsu 3 "Secret of Mana" is my favorite one.

Did you ever read my post at all?

Actually I did, but I dont even know why I completely ignored that list. .. :D

Well great games, then there is nothing for you to play.

@thorium233
@Nurmi

I have played Golden Sun on the GBA emulator. I do not wanna experience Lufia 2 Puzzle games ever again in Golden Sun since I ragequitted at the first puzzle if I can remember in that Pyramid. That Fucking H puzzle drove me insane in the Treasure Sword Shrine until I cheated and looked up on Youtube how to solve it a few years later since I was playing on Snes9x emulator and even before then since my cousin gave me 2 discs with about 1gb worth of SNES roms.

Breath of Fire 3 is my favorite of the series, and the series in general is possibly my favorite rpg series (possibly).
-Many love BoF 4, but that's honestly my least favorite (and I'm one of few that actually liked Dragon Quarter) because of the gameplay, worth a try though.

Secret of Evermore if you like the mana games
Legend of Mana
Mario RPG (easy game, but a lot of fun)

I'll second Chrono Cross and Saga Frontier (1 & 2, though they are both VERY different)
If you pick up Legend of Dragoon, I recommend not getting it through PSN for PS3. Latency is introduced and it's very annoying for doing the timed hits combos in the battle system. That annoyance makes kinda a big difference combined with the poor dialogue (I hear due to a poor translation).

Secret of Evermore - I lost the save files to that game, may go at it again at some point
Legend of Mana - Will definitely play at some point
Mario RPG - Played one of their DS versions of the game as you said extremely fun and simple. Will play at some point

I ended up bootlegging Legend of the Dragoon for the PC via emulator (i'm sorry) and played a bit of it and all I got to say if there weren't technical issues with my xbox 360 wireless controller timing out and shutting down which causes me to restart the emulator, loosing a lot of progress since I don't know how Save states work in the emulator. I would be playing this game right now instead of typing because its a freaking good game. (Hitting the controller also causes disconnect.)

You could argue all day what genre it is but yakuza is great