Join the Day of Action for Net Neutrality on July 12

My town is small enough that it would be a long time before fiber shows up. Or competition of any form.

Edit. Found amazons contrabution. Hopefully I somehow missed the big in your face popup somehow.

Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) and WOW and AT&T Fiber is starting to roll out in a few neighborhoods. WOW and AT&T are not available at my house so Spectrum is my only choice. I recently bought my own modem and had to contact Spectrum to activate it.

Then they say "I see you are still on Time Warner Internet, would you like to switch to Spectrum Internet?"

me: I thought that would be automatic. Is there any difference in price or service?

Spectrum: "It's the same price but your speed will go from 24Mbs, to 70Mbs."

Of course I want that, sign me up!
But they would have never told me about it unless I was calling them about something completely unrelated.

3 Likes

Congress has already received more than 3 million emails and 100,000 calls. More than 1.7 million comments are on their way to the FCC (a new record for a single day). And more is coming… the West Coast is still busy submitting comments and making calls!

At Fight for the Future, we were lucky enough to see it all unfold over the course of the day in real time, so we put together this gallery so that you could relive this special moment with us tonight. And so that you can be proud - very proud - of the collective action you were a part of today.

We have not saved the Internet yet and we have a lot more work to do but it was an amazing show of force today, and one that will refuse to go unnoticed.

https://imgur.com/a/vYVet?link_id=0&can_id=b7f4474390ca6a77c5f341e27c8a5d2a&source=email-giddy-with-excitement-2&email_referrer=giddy-with-excitement-2&email_subject=be-very-proud

2 Likes

God dammit this is so good to see so much people voicing their opinion. I just hope you guys over there can stop/kill this complete madness of wanting to remove net neutrality. Europe is safe about this for now but if it goes through in the US who can guarantee that won't spill over to other continents and countries.

1 Like

kind of :smiley: was a part of that day. tried discussing stuff with my friends about it. feels more like global warming now. you can read up all you want about it and give them so many irrefutable proofs but someone in your circle is just going to shrug it off like it's total bs and you wouldn't know if you should even discuss such a topic with them. :smiley:

1 Like

So that's what that net neutrality prompt that showed up a few days ago was.
I guess they just implemented the prompt internationally.
I mean I am all for the US having net neutrality, but I can't exactly send a letter to a US congressmen when I'm not from the US. :confused:

I forget which site it was, but it was slow as hell, like unusable by my standards. Hope that huge mug that's clearly mind controlling Ajit Pai doesn't screw up your internet. :grin:

I imagine this is what everyone's face will look like, if Title II is removed

1 Like

That's how I felt when talking to my family about it.

When I talked to them about the "basic" (access to CNN, facebook, twitter and wiki) and "premium" (includes streaming services) packages, my brother said "well, they gotta make money somehow" as if that's an okay thing to do. I had to sit down to him and explain the additional cost of bits being sent over docsis 3.

Sometimes I just don't want to live on this planet.

I get the same reaction on some websites. Seems to come from more well off financially people.

Funny, my brother is piss poor right now, but he is a finance major, so that will likely change.

I'm not sure if money has anything to do with it. It's more of your attitude towards laissez-faire in my opinion.

You're brother is being indoctrinated into the world of business, where only profits matter, so he would have a bias.

Eh, he's really not that bad.

1 Like