JayZTwoCents got a bad TR4 socket, killed his 1920X - My Install video for comparison

Yes, prevent pin damage.

Mine had both on both Foxconn and Lotes on Aus Zenith.

1 Like

No idea why mine was missing on the Gigabyte X399 Gaming 7 (Foxconn socket). :confused:

IE: How to not be retarded like J2C?

I havenā€™t had this problem yet nor have any of my co-workersā€¦ Probably built roughly 10 TR systems total between all of us (itā€™s not nearly as popular as Ryzen) I find this extremely odd I already gave the guys a heads up to look out for this shit on upcoming builds.

Excellent video! Anyone whoā€™s ever disassembled toys or electronics should be familiar with this technique of driving screws but still a great resource for the uninitiated.

Maybe it was repackaged and sold as new?

possible. It happens a lot especially from Amazon.

1 Like

They did that to me with my first rx480 block

It kills me on how self serving opinionated he is. There has been issues with new architectures and sockets for all platforms.

6 Likes

heā€™s a child but thatā€™s beside the point

1 Like

For someone who supposedly works on cars, heā€™s clearly never done any actual work that required torque patterns, otherwise he would know to start all the screws before torquing down the first bolt. :frowning:

He is a stickler for manufacturer recommendations. The TR4 install manufacturer recommendations is exactly what he followed. It has issues.

2 Likes

Correct. The instructions for securing the CPU are shit he didnā€™t do it ā€œwrongā€

1 Like

And I bent pins doing it that way. Nothing touched those pins and I followed install instruction to a tee. It was when I was going to change the CPU that I saw the bent pins. The original CPU was working fantastic in the board. New CPU would not post quad channel memory. Doubt it would have been caused during removal but possible.

asus_zenith_pins_3

H7MCAJ100705

1 Like

Seems like an odd place for that to happen if what you claim is true. It was probable something else, would have happened on the edge if it was from securing it lopsided.

Actually Iā€™m thinking along the lines of pressing on the socket as a point of contact without actually compressing the socket pieces together until the board has reached a measure of maximum deflection. Iā€™m not overly worried about the PCB, all the traces are small enough to be reasonably flexible, more like how dumb it is to push the entire assembly away from oneself.

Like trying to screw in a door handle with the door open until it hits the jamb and stops moving. It takes a ton of force in J2Cā€™s case because heā€™s just moving the socket itself further from its initial position.

Another vote for reversing screws until the threads ā€œpopā€ into alignment. A common tactic in the machining world as well, lots of things get bolted/screwed together.

2 Likes

But most boards donā€™t have 4094 traces coming out from under the socket. If a board was going to give way due to flexing it would be these.

1 Like

That would be Linusā€¦

2 Likes

If? That is kinda rude.

Not possible. The cover was lifted straight up, no damage and was uncovered for 5 seconds max before closing CPU down on it.

Not being rude just saying something else probably happened. Pins donā€™t bend in the center because you screwed it down wrong.

1 Like