JavaScript Attack Breaks ASLR on 22 CPU Architectures

Five researchers from the Vrije University in the Netherlands have put together an attack that can be carried out via JavaScript code and break ASLR protection on at least 22 microprocessor architectures from vendors such as Intel, AMD, ARM, Allwinner, Nvidia, and others.

2 Likes

Yes! This does not impact me.

I did want that Xeon that's on the list tho. 💩💩💩💩💩

1 Like

Fortunately this issue doesen't look too bad. Anyway saying "22 CPU architectures" it's way different than saying "22 CPUs from different manufacturer with different architectures"; it's a bad error in my opinion.

That poor Atom C2750 was engineered while playing Rocket League and smoking weed because this issue goes on top of the CPU failing after 18 months.

4790K FTW, every CPU that succeds it it's just a scam!

2 Likes

They mean 22 microarchitectures. Most of those CPUs are x86. Did didn't test PowerPC or SPARC.

I use noscript most of the time anyway unless im on a site I trust but still this is kind of scary I seen a similar attack for ASLR on android a while ago with a working exploit I believe it was based upon stage fright.

Sooo, since this works on Chrome, does that mean NOde is theoretically compromised as well?

That, to me, is the more interesting implication.