Java and Media

I've been wanting to create a music player and a video player for Android (through Java). How do I go about using codecs etc. to allow playback? I looked throug the API but there is a lot there and I couldn't find anything relevent. I didn't dig through everything so that doesn't mean there isn't. Also, I want to make the UI for a movie viewer more graphically intensive. Are there any engines for android that would allow me to create lighting and movement similar to adobe after effects?

Thanks

maybe check out VLC's source code to see how they use codecs.

So as far as

Also, I want to make the UI for a movie viewer more graphically intensive. Are there any engines for android that would allow me to create lighting and movement similar to adobe after effects?

That would be a bit more into OpenGL ES, which would mean either learning OpenGL (its not the easiest thing to do, but is very possible to do with a small app). There are quite a few books on using OpenGL ES with Android and 3D Programming with Android as well. This would allow you to use Hardware accelerated views instead of just software with the processor.